Midibox crash :(

Nikolai

Hi everyone!

this was supposed to be a happy post with photos of my new midibox, but, 2 days ago something went wrong.

it is a midibox MM (though i the code is changed a little bit to suit my needs)

I was just making some minor changes to the firwware when it came to me that my mios version was as old as the dinosaurs (1.4) so since the new 1.8 has improved mf driver I downloaded v 1.8 read the changelog of all the others and uploaded 1.8.

it went smooth all though when rebooting it flashed a text about some change, it went to fast for me to really notice.

After this the midibox has started crashing. It does not seem to make any difference what application I run. For example the mf calibration, will just slam some of the fadrers to the top and hang or reboot, some bigger apps will not only slam the fader up or down but also put on some random leds.

I’m pretty sure this has nothing to do with the hardware since the box was fine until I changed OS.

I realize that this is a problem/error that probably nobody except me will ever have. I probably did something wrong somewhere. Oh also the problem still occurs when I go back to mios 1.4.

What could have made the box unstable? Another example when sending a chain of MIOS_DOUT_PinSet1 with different pinnumbers when I reach the 11’th the box crashes it does not matter wich pin or at what speed (50 ms to 2000 ms intervals)

Hah I’m just smiling at this, It’s like the box says, “please don’t finish me let’s work some more”

All best to you all!

Nikolai

Hi Nikolai,

what does happen when you upload MIOS V1.8 again?

Maybe one code block was not uploaded correctly, but you oversaw the error message?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: you can verify the completeness of a MIOS installation with the CRC application - with MIOS V1.8 it should display the CRC: BB15

Hi TK thanks for the reply

Nothing realy, I have uploaded 1.7 and 1.8 many times, but the messages does not show up again. The message I got the first time I uploaded mios 1.8 was something with “fixing” and “done”  I don’t know

I figured out that if I send more then 11 midi messages to the box  it crashes. I’m going over the wiring now to see if there are any broken soldierings, because it is strange that the problem happens in all OS versions an all apps, this smells like a hardware bug, but then I’m thinking: what hardware error could cause the box to crash after exact 11 midi msgs? haha

Nikolai

Hi Nikolai,

with error message I ment the SysEx replies which are sent during the upload... however, if you never saw a "...0E ?? F7" message during upload, then it should be ok (MIOS Studio decodes the message and shows it in a readable form)

The LCD message you saw notifies about the activation of the BOR flag, see documentation in the ChangeLog: http://www.ucapps.de/mios_changelog.html - this is no error message, but just a hint, that this (required!) change has been done.

So, what could happen: your PSU is too weak, or there is a short circuit somewhere, which drops the core voltage to below 4.5V. At this voltage some external components (like LCDs or BankSticks) don't work reliable anymore, therefore the PIC is forced into reset state, so that nothing "dangerous" happens (e.g. so that the bankstick format routine won't be started). Propably for your application the BOR reset is not really relevant, but in general it makes sense to activate it.

So - my tip - remove all 74HC595 chips and check if the reset still happens. The successively put them into the sockets again (switch-off the power when doing this!) in order to find out, which part of the DOUT chain is defective

If this doesn't help, disconnect the whole DOUT chain from the core module in order to find out, if the short-circuit is there, or anywhere else

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Ok. Thank you!

I figured out that there has got to be something fishy bout my psu. Although the current is not high and the psu is rated at 4 amps the voltage drops when something is connected a led is lit or the backlight turned up. I loos a litlle bit of voltage for every module.

It does not seem to make any difference what I connect to the psu it still drops a bit (even with some resistors and a led) I guess  I will try with some other psu. Or change the setup of this one

again thank you for helping me out

Nikolai