testing Midibox64 firmware - questions

bcbox

I have a simple quetsion maybe someone can answer.

I'm setting up my MB64. Everything works so far. I am going to be using 64 pots, 64 buttons, and 32 LEDs.

I have uploaded MIOS v1.8 and MB64 v2.4.  My question is about how I should go about testing the knobs, buttons, and LEDs. Right now I have nothing plugged in - just 4 buttons plugged in to the first DIN to hopefully operate the LCD. When I turn the MIDIbox on I get continuos random MIDI data. The MIDIOx  input monitor show continuos MIDI crap and the LCD shows something like ....

[iNT] B

Volume #16 ---

and the value keeps changing randomly.

Basically I want to ask is it OK to test the Midibox using the MB64 firmware or the AIN_DIN_DOUT test firmware when I don't actually have all the pots, buttons, and LEDs plugged in? I was hopping to test everything one at a time. Does the fact that I'm getting garbage when I turn on my box with nothing plugged in tell me there's something wrong with my connections from core to AIN (for example) or could it just be that I don't have everything plugged in.

I hope this makes some sort of sense!

Brian.

Yeah, I went through the same thing for the same reasons. It's a hard way to test :'(

As Raphael mentions, just follow all the notes here on "empty pins" with the individual IC pins and the PIC pins, and make sure the app is modified for this minimal config. -- Make sure the last 165 (button) IC out is pulled to 5v (pin#10). The last 595 (LED) pin (pin#9) can hang open. The PIC pins for any missing 4051's need to be grounded (pins 2,3,4,5 & 7,8,9,10). I did this at the empty sockets, by jumping the output pin (#3) to one of the grounds (6,7,8). Do the same with the unused pins of the 4051's which you are using (pins 1,2,4,5 & 12-15).

-Someone here, please correct any of this if it's wrong.

Good Luck!