removal of voltage regulator and connections

iamlark

so last night, right after i got the core to finally work, my C64 PSU died (i think)

so i'm wondering. could i power both core and sid using one 12v power adapter if i removed the voltage regulator from the sid chip or would this cause damage to the chips and circuts.

if not the regulator, what would i bypass in order to be able to use the SID with a plain 12v power adapter?

if i do not use the c64 psu designs to power my sid, how would i change the wiring between core/sid. would anything else change?

your PSU did not die - the internal fuse blew. Have fun replacing it! Its buried in plastic - I used a dremmel to get at mine, but decided to just solder a new fuse over the old one using just a little bit of the metal that I was able to uncover from the old fuse after like 15 minutes of grinding away at who knows what material. Its a real pain - and its why I am moving on to another power supply myself.

your PSU did not die - the internal fuse blew. Have fun replacing it! Its buried in plastic - I used a dremmel to get at mine, but decided to just solder a new fuse over the old one using just a little bit of the metal that I was able to uncover from the old fuse after like 15 minutes of grinding away at who knows what material. Its a real pain - and its why I am moving on to another power supply myself.

im thinking building a new PSU from scratch may be easier.... :'(

trust me - that C64 supply with the fuse is just a heavy pain in the ass. Once you have an AC wallwart doing the job, you will be better off. BG micro has AC wallwarts rated at 1A for $2.99 - get one and play around with it, you'll never look back to the C64 supply again!

wow. i wish i would have known that earlier. i just put in an order to BG Mirco right before the PSU blew.

i'm running off of a couple of wall-warts right now, but i think in my final design, i might use a computer PSU, or something similar.

i picked up an LCD with an EL backlight and it needs -5v. i figure those PSUs will give me that and +5v, +12v.

although, i just read something about computer PSU (switching type) are not good because they will create a lot of noise or something along those lines.

we'll see. that's way off. i have to get everything running first.

well, the SID is noisey enough on its own - but you can look at that two ways:

1 - whats a little more noise?

2 - so much noise already, more is not good!

the internal rectification on the modules is not to be dismissed! I mean, I had both the core and SID modules running off of a single 9VAC supply that was rated high - so obviously, they are rectifying to DC and providing enough voltage to get the synth to operate with just a little DC power inlet in the rear - and no monster C64 psu to lug along. Man is that thing huge!!!

A standard AC PSU - 9-12V should be more than enough once rectified to get the job done. Or build a PSU from scratch using that AC supply to get the 2 voltages if you want - however, there is a beefy regulator onboard each module! What is it there for if no to allow for a single AC supply????