newb troubleshooting

gotascii

Well I'm not sure where to begin or what aspects would be most useful but here goes:

I built a core and sid module out of smash's kits.  I also got a preburned pic.  All the voltages were looking good.  I stuffed all the ICs and connected via midi.  Everything as far as the core was concerned was working.  I got the request for upload string and was able to upload mios.  Shortly after this I noticed the regulator on the core was getting very hot.  I determined that connecting the via j2 was causing it to heat up.  I disconnected the sid module completley.  Everything at this point was still fine.  The regulator was not getting hot, I was getting the initial request for upload all voltages were ok.  I uploaded the sid software with no problem.  I then began trying to troubleshoot why connecting the sid caused 7805 to get so hot.  I rechecked and rewried the connections from the sid to j2 and rewried two suspicious connections on my psu.  Before I connected everything back up I checked the voltages comming from the psu, all good.  Took out the ICs, connected the psu and tested the voltages on the core and sid, all were good.  turned off the power, stuffed the ICS, booted back up same problem with the regulator getting hot.  So I disconnected the sid from teh core again and this time the regulator stayed hot.  Pretty much all downhill from there.  Im not sure what happened but after sucessive reboots and attempts to relaod mios, my pic now only sends the message "[FC] Stop" over and over every second.  Im guessing this means I screwed the pic up.  My question is could a fried pic be causing my regulator to stay hot?  I was sure it was overheating because of the sid connection but now it over heats whenever I have the pic stuffed.  All the voltages still look ok, so Im not sure *how* my pic got fried...any ideas?

ok after the disapointment and confusion subsided and I found even more documentation by combing through the forums here is what I'm thinking/wondering.

I think the PIC is OK and not burnt, it does send messages via midi out, just an "FC stop" over and over.

I think what happened is some part of the bootloader was overwritten?  Is this possible?  It seems to me a few other people have managed to do this.

I'm hoping reloading the bootloader will solve this issue.  Ive ordered a JDM kit and a new pre-burnt PIC from smash (just in case).

Armed with much more knowledge of how everything works my plan is:

Retest PSU outputs for proper voltage.

Start with the core only, no sid connected, no pic.  Connect to PSU and check all voltages and ground connections listed here http://www.ucapps.de/howto_debug_midi.html

If those are all ok and the regulator isnt burning up then power down, stuff the pic, connect midi, start up midi-ox, power back up.

At this point I should see the "request for upload" string every few seconds.

I can then load up mios right after one of these messages comes up and I should get the confirmation strings back.  the pic will reboot after this and I will only see the upload string sent one time.

Now I can upload the sid app: http://www.ucapps.de/mios/midibox_sid_v1_7a.zip

My question here is where is teh documentation that describes uploading applications, as opposed to mios?

Also once that is uploaded the verification it uploaded correctly is a bunch of new output when I reboot the PIC correct? (Im guessing this is all lcd output)

Next I can power down, remove the PIC, and connect the sid module without the actual sid IC.

Test voltages and make sure the regulator isnt getting hot.

Then I can power down, plug in the PIC, power back up and retest voltages/regulator.

At this point I would install http://www.ucapps.de/mios/mbsid_interconnection_test_b.zip and test the connections (the sid IC does not need to be in to test this correct?)

Then I can power down, plug in the SID, power back up, and test everything.

If I make it this far I should be operational.

Final question: How hot can the regulator get before I should worry about a short somewhere?  When I originally hooked it up it would approach untouchable in about 1min at which point I unplugged it hehe.

My question here is where is teh documentation that describes uploading applications, as opposed to mios?

Also once that is uploaded the verification it uploaded correctly is a bunch of new output when I reboot the PIC correct? (Im guessing this is all lcd output)

It's described here: http://www.ucapps.de/mios_bootstrap.html Same procedure as the MIOS upload (But only two seconds to start the upload - so use MIOSStudio with autodetection ;)).

After MIOS is loaded you should see "READY" on the LCD. After the app is loaded you will see the application user interface.

At this point I would install http://www.ucapps.de/mios/mbsid_interconnection_test_b.zip and test the connections (the sid IC does not need to be in to test this correct?)

Yes, please don't install the SID until the interconnection test is OK.

Afer that you can load the MBSID application (the upload will overwrite the interconn. test but not MIOS).

Final question: How hot can the regulator get before I should worry about a short somewhere?  When I originally hooked it up it would approach untouchable in about 1min at which point I unplugged it hehe.

As illogic has already written, the regulator gets pretty hot with a LCD connected (Backlight draws lot of power).

Without a heatsink the 7805 willbe untouchable (up to 100°C max). I think up to 70°C are OK. Look at the datasheet.

BTW.: What PSU are you using? A too high input voltage will cause a hot regulator!

Raphael

hi,

AC1 is outputting ~11V AC

that's a bit much if i remember correct (would explain why the 7805 is really hot)>> supply voltage should be in a range of 7-10 V ac or dc, but anyway if you do get a nice 5v..

BTW i wouldn't get the PIC out everytime you do something on the core (only when you think(know) there is something wrong with supply voltages or so)

cheers, marcel

that's a bit much if i remember correct (would explain why the 7805 is really hot)>> supply voltage should be in a range of 7-10 V ac or dc, but anyway if you do get a nice 5v..

Illogic is right. If I remember my lectures in basic electronics correct 11V AC will give about 15V DC after the rectifier. So your regulator will even get hot without a big load like a LCD backlight.

Raphael