"dout_buttons" app numbering question

Jidis

Hey again,

I've got a nice test board together now, with a bunch of i/o on it. I dumped that dout app into the core with 32 LED's and 32 buttons. I'm getting weird dout signals on my LED's though. There are a couple in the first 8 which don't light, and I don't think I got any activity from the 9th light on.

It's probably just a connection that I broke loose while screwing the boards down. The light board will be pretty easy to remove and check, I'm just looking for confirmation that the LED sequence should go 1-32 (or last). I tried it first with the original main file, and then cut it down to SRIO# =4. I checked all the connections when I made the board, along with the serial links between chips, the pull up connections and resistances. I'll check it again. My three register 8 digit display seems fine on that same output.

My buttons appear sort of screwy on the d.in too, like every couple rows are reversed. The 1-8 numbering I used for the 4051's was pins 6,5,4,3,11,12,13,14. I'm guessing one of those groups of four is backwards. There's plenty of space on the bottom of that for re-jumping the lines, but it probably doesn't matter on that one. I just needed the quantity.

- Thanks!

George

Got this sorted tonight. :)

I guess I was a bit more sloppy on the soldering than I thought. I had a couple LED legs that didn't make a good connection to the traces, and a 595 power pin which did the same. :o

I think I do have the second half of every multiplexor going down instead of up, but I haven't decided if I care yet.

-George

Still wondering on the D.IN part--

My pin connections are indeed 6,5,4,3,11,12,13,14, which was what it "looked like" in the schematic.

I'm guessing they were supposed to have been 6,5,4,3,14,13,12,11 and the original schematic, with the D.In and D.Out circuits on one page, is even a different numbering.

6->3 then 11->14 was what I was supposed to have done right? Also, how much hassle is it to reverse their order within the software?

BTW-- This is just a test board, and the first 20 tactile button's connections are easy to get to and change. The next twelve are sort of trapped under a keypad (unless I can maybe change them right at the shift registers).

-Thanks!

• 1 month later...

And fifty years later......

Just realized I hadn't looked at that "how to connect 32 buttons" PDF in ages. I kept referring to the dinx4 schematic when I was building.

It may be worth a note somewhere (unless I overlooked it) for others who might do their layout from the dinx4 schematic or use an odd number of buttons/registers. The orientation of the inputs in the diagram, as well as the J3-J10 and resistor numbering sequence might give them the wrong idea.

They're actually all going 11,12,13,14,3,4,5,6  (I did get it right THAT time didn't I?  ;) )