Has anyone build a MIDIbox SID into a full-fledged keyboard?

AwakeC64

Hello! This is my first post here...

First, I just want to say that this site is freaking incredible, I came upon it at work a couple days ago and nearly fell out of my chair!  Ive always wanted to build my own synth based on the SID chip, and now that's possible thanks to all the hard work and dedication by the people here.  Amazing. Thank you.

On to my question:

Most of the MIDIBox SID devices I see on the site are table-top or rackmount units.  Has anyone created one into a full-fledged synth, complete with keys, modwheels, etc?

Ive got a broken Korg DW6000 just sitting around.  I was planning on getting rid of it, but it dawned on me that it might make a perfect base for a 61-key MIDIBox Sid synth.  After modifying the front face, there would be plenty of room for all manner of controllers...plus the old school Korg joystick sure is nifty!:)  I'd need to figure out how to hook the keys up to the MB control unit - I dont know if it would be possible to keep any of the original Korg circuitry.

Also, has anyone ever implemented an effects section into their MBSID design?  There's plenty of schematics and kits for high quality delays, choruses, etc all over the web.  You could even take apart a digital effects unit, like a chaos pad, and build it into the chassis of the synth..

...combining 4 SIDs, a plethora of real-time control, and a nice effects section would create one unique monster of a synth!!

AwakeC64

Hi

Yes my project is very similar.But like i want a analog filter section too (FOr example Minimoog Ladder Filter) i m waiting for Thorsten has finished to implement the AOUT module, because this will affect much the design(a special AOUT matrix for example). Also i wait for knowing which additional knob and LED i need for 303 section.After that i will finish my CS with a keyboard for a stand alone synth

regards

titan

Two things regarding the AOUT matrix: an additional LED matrix won't be required, because the existing one will just get an alternative view, which can be selected with a special button combination. Just think about the fact, that I would never modify my own MBSID case anymore, therefore I can guarantee that each future feature will work with this control surface. And I cannot guarantee that I will ever implement features for additional control elements (additional encoders/buttons/LEDs) for other people...

Another point is, that the CS controllable AOUT function (which should work more independent from the MBSID engine) won't be available for the PIC18F452 due to memory issues. This is an enhancement which is planned for MBSID V2 which will run on a PIC18F4620. The reason why I'm not able to start with this major version change is because of a hardware bug in this chip which affects the reliability of the MIDI interface. Therefore I'm (still) waiting for an update from Microchip - once available, I will start with the implementation of new major functions

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks for the replies!  Building the MBox SID will be the most complex electronics project ive taken on so far, so I think Ill keep it simple,and just build a simple core+sid module to get things started.  I like how Thorsten build his into the old-school C64 case, I may do the same.  Only because it would besweet to have that old box on my desk again.:)  Perhaps with a black frontplate to keep things different:)

i'm building mine into a small silver suitcase. later i plan to add a MBFM and a MBSEQ in there too.

in the lid of the suitcase there will be mbsid and mbfm (each one half of the total lid height)

in the bottom (base) part of the suitcase there will be the mbseq.

it will be very very tight and i'm having a hard time squeezing it all in but i think after i get the mbsid in all the rest will be trivial (i'm planning a 4xSID version and that's like 13 boards!).

though the mbsid will reach quite a bit into the mbfm area but the frontplate will cover that. and the mbfm is only 4 boards so it will work out. by milimeters though :>

• 1 month later...

i'm building mine into a small silver suitcase. later i plan to add a MBFM and a MBSEQ in there too.

in the lid of the suitcase there will be mbsid and mbfm (each one half of the total lid height)

in the bottom (base) part of the suitcase there will be the mbseq.

it will be very very tight and i'm having a hard time squeezing it all in but i think after i get the mbsid in all the rest will be trivial (i'm planning a 4xSID version and that's like 13 boards!).

though the mbsid will reach quite a bit into the mbfm area but the frontplate will cover that. and the mbfm is only 4 boards so it will work out. by milimeters though :>

Such a tight setup might be bad for your equipment.. it'll be a case.. so it'll be bossed around.. but if it gets hit at all, such a tight placement of things might mean it's bye-bye :(