Question on change_id application

Lide

Hi all,

i have to change the id of one of my pics. after searching i found the change_id app. the main.asm says the required steps to do this are:

; Required steps for a proper ID initialization:

;    o burn the MIOS bootstrap loader into the PIC

;    o upload MIOS

;    o upload this project

;    o change the ID settings for your needs in the code below

;      (default: 0x0000000000000000)

;    o assemble this program or just use the preassembled .syx file if you

;      don't want to use a different ID

;    o convert the new .hex file to a .syx file:

;        perl hex2syx.pl main.hex

;    o download the application into the PIC

;      -> the MIOS bootstrap loader will get active for 2 seconds

;      -> thereafter this program will be started

;      -> the MIOS bootstrap loader will be started again, but now with

;        the new ID settings

My question is:

what is meant by "upload mios" and "upload this project"?

Do i have to put the mios-software on the pic via midi, before i change the id with this app?

My pics currently only have the bootloader on it.

And one general question (sorry - newbie=me):

i´m building a midibox with 2 cores. one core should act like mb64 and the other like mb64e. do i need different mios versions for this? So far i don´t fully understand the context/relationship between the mios software and the mb64/mb64e software? Is it the same? Do i have to set different parameters in mios so that it acts like mb64 or mb64e?

thanks for your replies & helping me.

Hi.

My question is:

what is meant by "upload mios" and "upload this project"?

Do i have to put the mios-software on the pic via midi, before i change the id with this app?

Yes. First upload MIOS to your core and then modify change_id application to match your target ID (ie. to reflect the new core ID) and then compile, convert and upload it to the core.

And one general question (sorry - newbie=me):

No problem! ;) There are newbies and there are newbies.. Your questions are simple and easily answered. (versus Too many, mixed up questions, not explaining the problem properly ect.)

i´m building a midibox with 2 cores. one core should act like mb64 and the other like mb64e. do i need different mios versions for this? So far i don´t fully understand the context/relationship between the mios software and the mb64/mb64e software?

No - MIOS is the same. It's a sort of Operating System layer, that handles lowlevel I/O, midi ect. functions to the applications on top of it.

Bye, Moebius

ok - thx very much so far.

But do i have ot upload the mb64/mb64e-app too, or is it enough to upload only mios-software and then do the change_id thing?

what is meant by "upload this project"? do i have to upload the unmodified change_id-app before i can modify and upload it again?

And: Can i upload the modiified with for example mplab without losing the ability to make further uploads/code-changes with midi-connection in future? (Or: do i loose the bootloader, if i use mplab-burner?)

sorry for my non-understanding. :-[

Hi let me try to explain;

MIOS is an operating system for for the PIC's which allows it to run programs like for example MB64-app,

MBSeq-app, Change-ID app etcetera. You ALWAYS need/have MIOS before you are putting an application on.

so you upload MIOS> upload change id/change id app. just do it and it will work...

And: Can i upload the modiified with for example mplab without losing the ability to make further uploads/code-changes with midi-connection in future? (Or: do i loose the bootloader, if i use mplab-burner?)

you will never lose this ability, PIC's can be programmed over and over again. and you won't lose the bootstrap loader

i think you should read the bits on MIOS and uploading (again?) and then just try it. It's not so hard and if you got your hardware checked you can't really mess up something  ;D

cheers, marcel

thanx! i tried several times and it worked after uploading mios with mios-studio. then i uploaded the change_id-app and it worked! after that i tried to upload the mb64/mb64e-apps to the cores. it didn´t work with the vmidibox-editors, but with sysexbox.

:D