I don't know where to start

jonpaul

Firstly can I say how interesting I have found Midibox. I want to try and build my own controller for Ableton Live 5. After hearing a lot of squabble elsewhere concerning the Maven controller that Sasha uses (which is based on Midibox apparently), and folk wanting to buy it; I decided to try and build my own. However, I have found so much info here I do not know where to start  :( sorry.

Is there any folk there who can give me some pointers? A friendly chap I have been speaking to in Holland said that he came to you guys for some advice and that you were all jolly good chaps. He managed to build a controller for Ableton Live and I am keen too also. I have a friend who works in CAD and engineering and we are quite excited at the prospect of producing a nice bit of kit.

So to recap, I am not to sure on how this all works really i.e. where to buy parts, what to buy, etc. Even down to the very principle of what is the lowest denominator of part I would have to buy. Any pointers would be greatly received. Maybe one day I will have my controller pictured here.

Thanks

John ???

john,

quite simple: think of questions, search the forums with keywords, look at completed midiboxes by other forum users, look at the main site (www.ucapps.de) save the money, look for places to order parts, get half way finished all your soldering and realize there is a better way which you will use next time!

Its all overwhelming at first, but -- I and i'm sure others will follow with similar suggestions -- after some time to wrap your whole head around it all, it becomes 2nd nature.

good luck

tb

• 2 weeks later...

well, every1 seems to start with their panel design

think of what controlls u want to have, pots, encoders, faders, MFs, CVs, touchpads, theramin antenas ???

then find out how many modules it will need, for example mine has 48 encoders, 28 buttons and an LCD Module - for that i will need 1 Core and 4 DINs, (2 allready finished and working ;D)

i'm sure u read the main site 100s of times and u know that maximum a core could handle is 128 digital inputs, (thats 4 DINs) and mine is exatly 124  ;D.

and as tb mentioned, search through the forum b4 u post anything, your problem might have been answered already somware...

Best Regards

Yarek T