detend alps encoder on mb64e

Lide

hi all,

today i tested my mb64e-core module with a connected din, which has a alps ec11b 20 detend encoder connected. i want to use this to scroll up and down the scenes in ableton live. for this i need two different midi-notes: one note at a click when i turn the encoder to left and another when i turn the encoder to right.

i tried it with my configuration but the midi monitor showed, that there are sent 0 and 127 both on two channels (think it was 8 and 9) by one click. does the logical algorithm not work  with these encoders? can i use them at all?

i think this could be fixed by changing some parameters, but after searching in the mb64e-app-code, i´m really frustrated, because i couldn´t find anything where i see which encoder type has to be selected or what i can change to make this thing work.  :'(

so anyone who has more skillz in programming and electronic, who can show me the way into the light?

thanx&greetz, lide

hi,

you mean i only have to connect the encoder and it got to work without configurations in the mb64e-app? no parameters to set? i found that picture about the different encoder modes (http://www.ucapps.de/mios/mios_encoder_modes.gif). they work without telling the software which type is connected?

and how does the app "know" if there´s a button or an encoder connected? or is this not necessary?

greetz, lide

you mean i only have to connect the encoder and it got to work without configurations in the mb64e-app? no parameters to set? i found that picture about the different encoder modes (http://www.ucapps.de/mios/mios_encoder_modes.gif). they work without telling the software which type is connected?

The modes are set in mios_tables.inc. Pleas read the comments of TK in this file.

and how does the app "know" if there´s a button or an encoder connected? or is this not necessary?

From main.asm:

; This DIN map allows you to customize the MB64E application to different hardwares

; The MB64E dump structure allows the use of up to 64 buttons, they are grouped to 8 buttons per shift register

; Define the used shift registers for the buttons here

; the shift registers are counted from one - means: 1 for the first, 2 for the second, etc...

; mark unused button groups with 0

;; NOTE: by default, the first two DIN shift registers are used for the encoders

#define DEFAULT_DIN_SR_PIN_01_08 2

#define DEFAULT_DIN_SR_PIN_09_16 3

#define DEFAULT_DIN_SR_PIN_17_24 1

#define DEFAULT_DIN_SR_PIN_25_32 4

#define DEFAULT_DIN_SR_PIN_33_40 9

#define DEFAULT_DIN_SR_PIN_41_48 10

#define DEFAULT_DIN_SR_PIN_49_56 11

#define DEFAULT_DIN_SR_PIN_57_64 12

i couldn´t find anything where i see which encoder type has to be selected or what i can change to make this thing work. 

Hard to believe... These settings are discussed in so many forum threads!

Raphael

Thanks for the hint. Although I´m a little bit confused right now. In the mios_tables.inc I changed the mode to detend encoders.

But at the core-page i read that the DIN with encoders has to be connected to core´s J6 when using MB16e. Is this also right for MB64e? Maybe then my former configuration was wrong, because I connected the DIN module with encoders to J9 of the core-module.

However, I changed it and connected the DIN with encoders to J6 of the core and now i cannot get any midi signal out of core... ???

But at the core-page i read that the DIN with encoders has to be connected to core´s J6 when using MB16e. Is this also right for MB64e?

No. Have you really read the MB64e page? I doubt again.

From the MB64e page:

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_midibox64e.gif (16 Encs)

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_midibox64e_full.gif (64 Encs)

Hi,

I´m sorry.

Maybe a few words about my complete Midibox-Setup are helpful for further discussions:

I want to have a MB64(ID00)+MB64E(ID01) linked together in one box with 71 buttons (64 of them with leds), 44 pots, 9 faders and 2 encoders for controling ableton live.

The pots and faders (=2xAINX4), the 64 buttons with the leds (=2xDINX4 & 2xDOUT) and the LCD  should be connected to the MB64-core (ID00) . This core is the Midibox Link EP.

The other 7 buttons (including the menu buttons) and the 2 encoders are connected to one DINX4 which is connected to MB64E-core (ID01) as Midibox Link FP.

But since i don´t have my front- and backpanel yet (DHL sucks :( ) I wanted to test the pots/enc on the supposed cores before connecting&linking all together.

The pots seem to work now on MB64-core - after having some grounding problems.

Enc still does not work properly on the MB64E-core (see above).

So will it work if i connect the DINX4 to J9@MB64E-core and connecting the 7 buttons to J3 & J4  @DINX4 and the encoders to J5 @DINX4 without changing the MB64E-app-code OR what will I have to change if it does not?

Sorry for my wack skillz in coding and electronics...

Thanks again.

So will it work if i connect the DINX4 to J9@MB64E-core and connecting the 7 buttons to J3 & J4  @DINX4 and the encoders to J5 @DINX4 without changing the MB64E-app-code OR what will I have to change if it does not?

This should work. This is the MB64e standard configuration. (SR5 to SR8 for Encoders; SR1 to SR4 for Buttons)

Ok  ;D

After testing several connections of the DIN and changing some app-code I got my encoders work now.

Thanx a thousand times for helping!!!

Next I will do is mount all modules in my midibox and link them together.

So I´m waiting for my front- and backpanel...  8)