Trouble recording drum triggers in Ableton Live

spazmatron

While this is not directly related to Midibox, I figure all of you MIDI gurus here might be able to help.

In Ableton live there is a midi overdub feature.  Basically you trigger a loop to start recording your midi input ( in my case drum triggers from a Alesis DM5 drum module).  When you are ready, you trigger the loop to end.  At this point the loop will start over, and keep repeating.  On each repeat you can keep overdubing more midi notes until you build the loop that you want.

If I use my midi keyboard, this feature works perfectly fine.

When I use drum triggers going thru my DM5, the first pass of the loop records everything.  After the first pass it only captures a random note here and there.

The fact that it works fine on the first pass of the loop, but not the rest is very strange.  At first I thought it must be a software problem, but it works fine with my midi keyboard?

I found one guy on the Ableton forum with the same sort of problem, but nobody ever responded to his post.  His theory was that it had something to do with the length of the midi notes from the drum module, or that maybe it wasn't sending note off messages.

If any of you guys have any ideas, please let me know what you think.

The whole reason I built the electronic drum set and bought the DM5 was for this purpose, now it doesn't work.....Bummer!

Thanks for any ideas.

If anyone can figure it out, its the MIDIbox community!

or that maybe it wasn't sending note off messages

--ouch :-X

That length thing sounds possible. I've noticed drum machines will only produce a quick "spike" of a MIDI note, since their modules are going to run through the full sustain, regardless. I don't know Ableton, but if it's definitely not in a "replace" mode, has it got anywhere that you can see the recorded data, like a piano roll or event list?

Sorry I can't help,

George

Have you ever looked at the MIDI output of the DM5 in MidiOx. I assume that the module doesn't send any note off messages.

If this is the cause, you could build something like the MBFilter (http://www.ucapps.de/midifilter.html). Instead of filtering you could add a Note Off message after every note...

Perhaps MidiOx can do this also (but I don`t know).

Raphael