c++ midi app

havensole

hi all, sorry if i am writing this in the wrong place thorsten. i am just starting my actually basic basic basic programming courses at school, and am actually really depressed at how generic it has been. i can turn an LED on and off already. anyway, i was hoping someone might know of a page or something that can explain writing midi code (for hardware, not pc) with c++ or some other language. and also someplace that can explain (in depth) writing synthesis code for the same things. i really want to make things like the mbsid and mbfm, as well as take off into the extremes of the virus and the likes.  any help is appreciated. thanks everyone, especially thorsten for his great ideas that have kept me up nights thinking about the crazy things one could do.

-haven

can explain writing midi code (for hardware, not pc) with c++ or some other language.

C++ is quite a "high level" language, Object Oriented, but you can write code in C for the MIOS :)

If you want to make programs for hardware that can handle midi, you are in the right place (maybe not the right forum, MIOS programming is better). A midibox is actually a great developpement board for Midi hardware base project, and comes with a lots of example, both in assembler and C.

So just tell us more about what you want to do, even simple apps, like just sending midi data, and we/I can give you some help :)

Hi havensole,

You can find some hints for MIDI programming here: http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/miditech.htm

First of all,  in depth knowledge of the MIDI protocol is a must. Read the MIDI specifications (There is a link on the site I mentioned.)

Concerninjg the programming language:

You want to build some hardware stuff, so the hardware you use determines the languages you can use.

E.g. for the PIC microcontroller you have the choice between assembler and C. ( in general C++ is no optionfor microcontrollers!)

I think MIOS is a good starting point. It's open source, so you can learn a lot by studying the code ;)

Concerning synth programming:

Search the web for DSP stuff. All modern synths are based on DSPs. There are some good links here: http://www.harmony-central.com/Computer/Programming/ (scoll down to the DSP References section). Besides programming skills you will need good knowledge on FFT, filter algorithms and so on...

Raphael