32 buttons, 32 pots but what next?

live_deals

So i have finally finished soldering and crafting my midibox! With no knowledge of electrics and never having soldered anything in my life i began a building my own midibox approx 2 months ago, and now it's almost done. It contains of 1 core module, 1 AINx4 module and 1 DINx4 module, altogether 32 buttons and 32 pots, oh and it has a LCD. I ordered the pic and PCBs from mikes-elektronikseite.de so the PIC should be programmed with the bootloader (i really hope so).

The question is what do i do next? I realize that i should upload some app via the MIDI port so that the controller can function. But is there a ready made file that works with my needs? I need a program for uploading too right? i downloaded MIOSstudio but i have no idea what to do now, what file to upload etc, so any help is useful!

First upload MIOS (the operating system)

Check if MIDI data is transfered correctly (a message should pop up on the LCD once it was successfull) - if not, do some troubleshooting http://www.ucapps.de/howto_debug_midi.html

Tie all unused analog inputs (at J5 and AIN module) to ground in order to avoid random MIDI events

Thereafter upload an application like MIDIbox64 and have fun! :)

The packages can be found under http://www.ucapps.de/mios_download.html

Best Regards, Thorsten.

ok so i need to upload MIOS. Is there any where on ucapps.de that explains how to do this, what files to upload etc? i have found such excellent documentation on every aspect so far but i can't seem to find anything explainning the upload of MIOS, the MIDIbox64 app and whatever else is needed, what programs to use when doing this etc. I've read everything i have come over but can't seem to understand. Surely i have missed some information or something since this must be a challenge for alot of users?

I hadn't thought of grounding those inputs on the J5 so thanks for that tip! I'm a very excited at this point and really wan't to get goin! I appreciate your help alot, i would be lost without it.

Sincerely

Ilian

Just use MIOS Studio to upload the MIOS .hex file, and thereafter the .hex file of the application.

If you have an idea, how to improve the documentation, then please create a new page in the Wiki (wiki.midibox.org) and describe the upload procedure in your own words, in order to help other people who are also missing such explicit hints.

Hundreds of people have successfully used the bootstrap loader before, but it seems that only a small number of people take care to support newbies who are not permanently reading this forum - in long term this will be a big problem... therefore: please use the wiki!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

WOHOOO! It works. It was as simple as you said; Just upload the .hex files in MIOS Studio.

So now i have the real problems, sending of random messages and wrong messages and the LCD doesn't work, it lights but nothing comes up. But, i'm delighted. Now that the basic functions work i am so happy you couldn't imagine. the remaining problems will be sorted when i have time, but now: fun. I will fiddle my faders and knobs all night and whatever buttons that work!

Thanks once again for a fantastic project and webpage!