Shutting off an encoder?

Jidis

Hi,

I've got a couple JLCooper devices here with overly sensitive jog wheels (really dangerous for tracking). I think they both use regular 3-pin encoders.

What would be an easy and safe way to toggle them off when not needed? (ideally, maybe even with an LED indicator)

-Thanks!

George

Hi George,

just add a pull-up to the "middle pin", and a switch which activates the ground connection. So long the "middle pin" is not connected to ground, the output level of the encoders will never change (I assume, that the output pins are also connected to pull-ups)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thorsten,

Sorry for the confusion, but I hadn't had that thing open in a while. I just popped it back open to do what you said, and it actually has a "5" pin part in it. If it's still possible, is it still the center pin, or do I need specs,etc.

-Thanks!

PS- The other here is a smaller transport with a few buttons. It's Mac ADB format (old). I'm guessing that one uses the same encoder part, but if I end up using that unit, I'm planning to pull the whole board and swap it with some simple MIDIBox guts. :D