an interesting ebay item

Steven_C

• 1 month later...

Hahaha yeh, thanks for increasing the publicity of the auction and assisting me in being outbid... We could have had a MB SFX clone, but noooooo! ;)

Just kidding mate.. Wish me luck next time and if I win, I'll pull it to bits and report back :)

Since the SFX uses tge OPL chip and the MidiBox FM uses the OPL3, it's backwards compatible.  Just modify the firmware to use 9 2-operator voices instead of 6 4-operator ones and don't use any other waveform than sine and you've got a Midbox SFX. :)

Since the SFX uses tge OPL chip and the MidiBox FM uses the OPL3, it's backwards compatible.  Just modify the firmware to use 9 2-operator voices instead of 6 4-operator ones and don't use any other waveform than sine and you've got a Midbox SFX. :)

Sounds like (as I suspected) the MBFM is a better device anyway :)

Reminds me of the laugh I get, every time I see someone pay a small fortune for a SIDStation ....LOL... Suckers!  ;D

Once (before MBSID even existed) I bought 2 C64 expansions, one being a MIDI interface, the other a 4-bit sampler, looking a lot like the device on this auction. I never even tried to get it working. I seem to remember I paid a considerable amount for the set (stupid me), but then again, I bought them from Senso (you know, from vintageplanet.nl) and it's always a good deed to support the real synthgeeks out there (He lives in Amsterdam in an apartment stuffed with old gear, he had an old mixer on offer at the time, pretty cheap, but nobody wanted to pick the thing up çause of the weight of it  ;D .

If there's anybody interested I might be willing to sell or trade :-)

P.S.

forgot to tell, the sampler interfaces with the cartridge port of the C64, the MIDI interface can then be plugged in the Sampler. The MIDI interface can also be used without the sampler, via the cartridge port.