Cant get the MIOSSTUDIO to run

experimental

I cant seem to get the MIOS STUDIO to run-

Running Windows XP Pro-

"Once Java is installed, all you will need to do is download MIOS Studio and save it to your computer. In Windows, you should be able to just double click on the .jar file to open the program

I have the latest Java, and i have downloaded the program however i cant locate the .JAR file

Thanks for any help-

Does anyone know why Windows renames the file automatically ???

It doesn't... but applications such as winzip or certain browsers (Netscape or Mozilla in some versions used to do this, not sure these days, I use IE and I no longer do desktop support) can cause IE to see JAR files as a ZIP, so when you get the Save As dialogue, the file types made available are those for the ZIP filetype.

If you want the geeky technical explanation let me know, but that's it in a nutshell.

The geekiest explanation I can give is that a JAR file is more or less a zip file with a few extras (you can open a JAR file with WinZip and extract all the files like a normal zip file). I assume that Windows/IE/Mozilla/whatever renames it because it assumes it is a zip file.

- Adam

There are operating systems and operating systems.. some use file extensions (How retarded is that? How much virii spreads because this?) and others relay on "file magic" to recognize file type.

Anyone with proper OS can use "file" utility software. (I'm not using a proper one ;D)

So, You *nix (clone) users, could you run file against .jar (JavaARchive) file to see if it's recognized as jar file or as zip file.

Moebius

The only indicator that a file is a JAR file instead of a ZIP is the presence of the META-INF directory and the MANIFEST.MF file inside it.  Otherwise they have the same file structure, compression method (for versions of ZIP >= 2.0) and header at the begining.

I find IE ignores the mime type the web server sends and works it out for itself by examining the file contents.  Hence it thinks JAR files are ZIPs.  IE 6.0SP1 was supposed stop doing that (since it is a security risk), but i've still seen it do it.