DIN problem - seeing random on messages on one of the DIN's

asbak

Apologies for asking dumb and probably obvious questions - midibox attempt 1 is slowly taking shape but there are a few remaining kinks.

After eventually succeeding in (hopefully) resolving bad connections on the AIN's and eventually seeing all 64 pots returning expected values the last major hardware problem seems to be one DIN which randomly generates 127 (on) events.

Checked the soldering on the connectors, the affected DIN module and the switch itself but all seem OK as far as I could tell. I have a single rotary encoder attached on the same "shift register" as the errant DIN (will have to doublecheck later). It could be that it isn't wired up correctly as there are no markings on the encoder.

Questions are:

(1) - Would an incorrectly wired encoder cause random DIN events?

(2) - In order to get the encoder to work properly, would I need to recompile the MB64_2.4 Hex file from the sources after altering the required values in the mios_tables.inc file and then upload this application to the PIC?

Regards

Hugo

(1) - Would an incorrectly wired encoder cause random DIN events?

(2) - In order to get the encoder to work properly, would I need to recompile the MB64_2.4 Hex file from the sources after altering the required values in the mios_tables.inc file and then upload this application to the PIC?

1. This shouldn't be source of the problem. If the encoder is wired wrong (or it's not matching the type specified in the application code) it just should show erratic behaviour when turned. (Whoops, this might be random triggering of the DIN events if it's connected to pins assigned to buttons)

2. Yes - and remember to change:

#define DEFAULT_ENC_DATAWHEEL   -1

to

#define DEFAULT_ENC_DATAWHEEL   0

in the main.asm too (If you haven't done this already)

Moebius