LC Emulation 2 LCD

Frank

Hi TK,

How you're doing, i still owe u a USB pic  ;D.

I've been working on a HUI emulation for Protools since the Motormix emulation doesnt work with Protools. After much hard and painful work since i'm not much of an assembly programmer i've never less succeeded in getting 98% of the emulation done.

The full Mackie HUI emulation for Protools requires 14 encoders,12 ledrings, 8 motorfaders, 167 switches, 149 leds and 2 40x2 lcds.

I've done it using 2 cores with a mix of MBLC and Motormix code and some other code to bang it all together. Later in the week i'll try to post some pics of the development prototype.

But i'm also trying to do a simpler version that will fit on 1 core so i have some questions. With regards to the LC application is there a way to get the 2 lcd screen to not wrap around at 64 characters? The reason is the HUI protocol has 2 separate sysex dislpay strings for the scribble strip and the DSP edit display. If i could get the full use of 80 characters then i could use different cursor offsets for each different display sysex withou changing too much of the LC code. Or is there any simpler or better way to just use the displays as 2 separate 40x2 and call them when writing for diferent sysex strings? Any help is much appreciated.

Regards

Frank

Hi Frank,

regarding the USB PIC, I will send you a PM (some new things happened :))

I'm impressed that you spent the effort for implementing the HUI emulation in assembler, even the MM and LC (preliminary) are available in C in the meantime...

However, so far I remember, there is only one function which handles the cursor for CLCDs, thats LC_CLCD_Msg_CursorUpdate. Only if LCD_MSG_D, 0 is set, the extra wide spacing is used, otherwise the normal spacing.

But there is a big problem: the display buffer for incoming characters is only  128 bytes, 2x80 bytes consume 160 byte memory, thats too much. This means, that you have to change several other routines in lc_clcd.inc, where I cannot give you a solution immediately. I guess the whole file needs to be rewritten, most parts can be removed, some (less) need to be added.

If this sounds too confusing, then check this version: http://www.ucapps.de/mios/midibox_lc_v2_0_alpha1.zip, it's easier to read :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi TK,

Thanks for the update. Great that you have a much better plan B for the Pic USB interface, so i guess you wont be needing my spare PIC. Yes learning C programing is my next objective this year after i finish the HUI Protools emulation for a friend. My last major obstacle to overcome is trying to do the 2 LCD thing. I'll try to solve it for a while more but if i cant i'll forget about the single core version. I've learnt alot about assembly programming and MIOS doing this project but yes assembly takes up too much of my time.

But what the hell it was still enjoyable  :D .

regards

Frank