the becoming of the midibox axe

Wisefire

If there's no LCD, just a PIC and a few DIN/DOUT chips, it would be fairly low current draw.

Have you considered powering it with batteries in the battery holder that's already there?

PIC datasheet says " < 1.6 mA typical @ 5V, 4 MHz ". Don't know what it would be at 10 MHz, maybe 5mA max?

The MIDI out at full throttle would only be 7mA as it drives the LED in the other end's MIDI port.

If you use four AA batteries, you only need a single diode to voltage drop 6v down to 5v. Any more than 6v and you could stick a 78L05 regulator in there. NiMH rechargeables are 2500 mA hours these days. Worth considering, it certainly keeps it simple anc cheap  ;)

thats not something im willing to do with this.. the structural integrity is already bad. also there isnt alot of room.. believe me.. im lucky that i can fit a dinx4, a doutx4 and a core inside it. also i dont mind having it powered from a PSU..

• 1 month later...

well, im sort of busy building this thing (i want to have a platform to learn to program midibox)

but im having weird troubles with my core module..

the 2 powerpins are have a stable resistance between them of about 4K ohm..

also the 5805 was running hot within seconds.. but that was because i placed the poles of the psu wrong..

now that they are correct the 5805 isnt running hot anymore.. however the measurements i took to test it before placing the ICz, tells me the voltage goes up when the psuz supplied voltage goes up.

ive searched the board for shorts but couldnt find any..

5805 broken? or maybe something else?

what am i doing wrong?

Just a thought... phantom power (+48V DC) from a mixing desk over the two unused lines in a 5 pin DIN lead?  MIDI only uses three lines.  IE a box that combines a DI with a MIDI socket and a 3 pin XLR connector for the desk on one side, that passes both MIDI and power to a 5 pin DIN socket on the other side.

48V is too much.. then you would need to step it down inside the controller..

also you would need a mixing desk on stage..

imho not a very good solution.. but if it works for you.. run with it..

now what about the malfunctioning core?

i know what i did wrong.. atleast i think i do.. power to the wrong people..

i gave J2 the load J1 was supposed to get.. thats just stupid..

i replaced 7805.. and noticed the picture that TK made on the core module page.. it powers 2 different pins..

ok thats just stupid of me.. really.. come on!!..

well lets try it again!..

• 2 weeks later...

Just to help this thread show up when you search for "guitar"...

guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar guitar  ;D

• 1 month later...