MIOS V1.1

TK.

Hi *,

some imperfections in the SRIO and MF handler have been fixed in this release. Additionally V1.1 provides following new functions:

• MIOS_HLP_16bitAddSaturate: 16 bit addition with saturation. Usefull in conjunction with rotary encoders. Will be used by upcoming applications  (MIDIbox HN already uses this function in hn_enc.inc)
  • support for detented encoders (see mios_tables.inc)
  • MIOS_DIN_PinAutoRepeatEnable, MIOS_DIN_PinAutoRepeatDisable, MIOS_DIN_PinAutoRepeatGet: an assignable autorepeat function for every button. Excellent for data entry. Used by Magic MIDI Delay and Motorfader Calibration App.
  • MIOS_CLCD_SpecialCharInit, MIOS_CLCD_SpecialCharsInit: allows to initialize the 8 special characters of a LCD.
  • MIOS_LCD_YAddressSet: allows to enable a second character LCD

The last function is now used by the MIDIbox LC application in order to drive two LCDs. This is a nice alternative solution compared to a graphical LCD - the characters are bigger and therefore the faders and V-pots can be arranged better on the panel (more space between the faders)

The inputs of the second LCD have to be connected 1:1 with the control lines of the first LCD. Just only the E (enable) input requires a seperate interconnection to the core module: J10:RC (pin RC.4 of the PIC)

It's very hard to make photos from the LCDs due to unwanted mirroring effects. Here are the only tries which adumbrate how it looks like:

clcd1.jpg

clcd2.jpg

For comparison only the screen of a graphical LCD (sorry again for the bad quality...)

glcd1.jpg

Hopefully I will find some time to documentate all the new stuff (instead of programming new functions ;-))

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: thanks to Axel/Frank/Rasmus (in alphabetical order) for beta-testing!

Well done Thorsten,

I think the configuration with two 2*40 LCDs is better but I think is cheapper to get one 128*64 :) Got to do some research.

I already got most of the parts around my deck to build up an LC I only have some (a lot maybe) questions:

The split mode for encoders: how many encoders support?

Is there a particular way of cabling all the DINX4 together to achive the right orientation of mute solo etc?

Ok enough questions for today... ;)

Regards

Dimitris

Hi,

I think the configuration with two 2*40 LCDs is better but I think is cheapper to get one 128*64 :) Got to do some research.

I purchased the 2x40 LCDs for 5 Euro per piece at EBay. ;-)

The split mode for encoders: how many encoders support?

8 encoders or 16, if you replace the motorfaders by encoders. However, this mode is provided by the host application, it just swaps (alternates) the function of V-pots and motorfaders with one push of a button. So - 16 rotary encoders make only sense if you plan to use your box also with other MIOS applications. If you want to save money, use 8 encoders. If you find some nice faders (without motors), you can use them too.

Is there a particular way of cabling all the DINX4 together to achive the right orientation of mute solo etc?

See mios_tables.inc in the source archive. But you can also assign the functions to other DIN pins if you want.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi again,

I have some little questions too  ;D

Is it (with MIOS V1.1 of course) possible to make a sequencer with more than 4 lines, controlled over encoders? If yes, what do we need for that one?

The other question is a MidiBoxSid one, so i'll ask them in another thread

By TzZ

Hi T-z-Z,

sure ;-) the system architecture of MIOS is quite stable, everything has been pepared for more complex applications...

See: mios_tables.inc, where you can configure 64 rotary encoders :)

As I wrote in another article, a port of MIDIbox64seq to MIOS is planned, and the sequencer engine will be reusable for other types of sequencers. Rotary encoders and graphical LCD: no problem! But you have to enhance the application code by yourself or you have to hope that somebody else publishes his modifcations!

Best Regards, Thorsten.