MIDIO128 midi merger

greenfox

I have built a CORE and a DIN.  I have MIDI messages comming out of the core and have sucessfully customised MIDI OUT messages to my needs relevant to the wireing of my switch inputs.

I was hoping to be able to connect my Casio keyboard MIDI OUT to the MIDI IN on the CORE, and use the midi merger function to transfer those messages directly to the MIDI OUT on the core.  This is not working for me.  I am getting the DIN generated signals but nothing from the Casio keyboard.  If I connect directly to the Casio keyboard it works

I have made my own MIDI cable which I have checked a couple of times.  Pin 4 to pin 4, pin 5 to pin 5, shield (pin 2) connected only at plug connecting to OUT.  I don't have any other way to test this lead in a MIDI cuicuit.

I have enabled midi_merger in the .syx file.

Is there any hardware changes I need to make to the CORE to get this function to work?

Is there something else I have missed?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Right, greenfox  :)

Maybe I'm totally wrong, but modifying the sysEx-File seems not like a very good idea to me.

From the description @ ucApps:

The MIDI Merger has to be enabled within the midio128.ini file

I don't know if Serge's SysExBox compiles something for you, the "normal" way is:

Edit and recompile (that means generate a new .hex-file, then convert the .hex to .syx and send by SysEx -- or send the .hex with MIOSStudio, which does the hex2syx-conversion for you). Please refer to http://www.ucapps.de/midio128.html for a detailed description.

Maybe you want to add your experiences to the Midio128-Wiki-Page?

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=midio128

(and remember: I'm not into Midio128 project, so this is just a guess! )

Cheers, Michael  ;)

Thank you for the thoughts Michael. :)

I have tried to download SysExBox but I can’t get the links to work. ???

I am confused with the various items of software. :-\  My CORE came loaded with the boot loader from Smash TV.  It was outputting every 2 seconds.  Then I uploaded MIOS and it only gave an output when it was powered up.  (the documentation says this is right).  Then I up loaded the midio128.syx file from the zip folder “mk_midio128_pic18fâ€.  The unit didn’t function.  I was given advice on the forum that I should have uploaded the main.hex from the zip folder “midio128_v2_1câ€.  Up loading this got the DIN board functioning.

The next step I took was to edit the midio128.ini file with the output codes I wanted from the first 8 DIN contacts.  I ran the Pearl converter and uploaded the resulting midio128.syx file (I did the upload using MidiOx and not SysExBox) This worked.  My edited codes came out from the specified DIN contacts. ;D

Next I could see in the midio128.ini file the section to enable merging of signals on the IN.  I edited the file, ran the Pearl converter and uploaded the .syx file.  The merger functions don’t work. >:(

I have looked through all the .ini files in the “midio128_v2_1c†folder, but cant see where I can enable the “merger†function in any of these, so can’t see how to enable merger function in the main.hex. :'(

I am confused with the difference or uses of the “midio128_v2_1c†files and the “mk_midio128_pic18f†files.  Can someone please explain? ???

Is there a SysExBox program that gives a more user friendly interface to editing the functions of MIDIO128? ???

Thanks in anticipation,

Rick.

Hi Rick,

I am confused with the difference or uses of the “midio128_v2_1c” files and the “mk_midio128_pic18f” files.  Can someone please explain?

midio128_v2_1c is the application which handles the serial DIN/DOUT chains. The MIDI setup can either be changed directly in the application source code, or it can be changed on-the-fly without reprogramming by uploading new configuration data in form of a special .syx format. The mk_midio128_syx package contains a script which allows you to generate this data from a .ini file (readable format)

Nobody has programmed a user friendly GUI for this configuration possibility yet.

If you want to change the configuration without the .syx approach, you can edit it in midio_presets.inc

E.g., for the merger function, search for

MIDIO_Presets_CFG0

db      0x00, 0x00      ; disable merger by default

and replace it by:

MIDIO_Presets_CFG0

db      0x01, 0x00      ; enable merger by default

note that this setting will be overwritten once you upload a new .syx again

If the merger works thereafter, I would assume that something has gone wrong during the .syx upload via MIDI-Ox. Did you follow this hint?

# Use i.e. MIDI-OX to send the .syx file to your MIDIbox. Don't forget to set a
# delay of appr. 750 ms between every SysEx block (after F7) under SysEx->Configure!
[/code]

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thank you again.

I need to apologise.  I checked my midio128.ini file, recompiled it with the make syx Pearl function, and uploaded it using Sysexbox.exe.  The merger function now works. ;D

I am not sure if it was MidiOx that didn't work (even though I had set the delay to 750ms) or if I had confused my self with multiple coppies of my midio128.syx file. :o

I do have one more question. ???

I am not using DOUT at all.  Can I delete the DOUT list of commands?

Will this make my system scan any faster? (I havent tested for time delay yet so I am not saying there is a problem)

Do I need to have at least the header line in the .ini file?

If so what script is required?

Thank you again.  This is a very happy Midibox builder. ;D

The scan is on a fixed rate of once every millisecond.  Removing the DOUT table would not change the scan rate.  I've never looked but I would expect that removing the table would create a lot of problems.  I wouldn't touch it.

I have my 25 note pedal board running tonight. ;D

I am a very happy Midibox builder. ;)

Thank you to those who helped, and yes it works for those who are contemplating Midibox or have started on their projects.

I have more building to do but now have stage 1 under my belt. :)