Basic problems, nothing works!

Guest nomadicWhale

Guest nomadicWhale

Hi,

I got the parts from Christian. I think it was a very wise desician. The parts came well rapped, each module in it's own labled bug. In fact there were some nice suprises that I did not excpect (like nice metal covered leds and more) . I honestly recommend this. more on that later...

Here is my problem:

I assambled a core and a din, and loaded the core with the din testing program. Nothing. Silence. not a single byte fled the core throught the wires.

When I measured the voltage on the core as explained in the solder guide in the I got 5.45v , is that ok (Thorsen said it should read 5v)?

What should I do? Any debugging tips?

Is there a program for core that just sends midi events on the wire? That way I'll know if the problem is with the core or the din.

Thanks.

I recall someone asking a similar question, but they were getting 5.8volts, to which Thorsten replied that it was too much. My midibox 64 runs ok on 5.1volts. I think you should try a new voltage regulator (7805), as some of them vary a bit. I always check the voltage regulator output before I build the rest of the circuit. The pic series chips are pretty tough, so I don't think you would have hurt the pic. Thats as much knowledge that I can share, i'm afraid

Guest nomadicWhale

Hi,

The problem was the crystal. It was not soldered well. Fixed it and everything went well. Tested both the din and the ain.

BTW, I recommend everyone to use T's above core tester program. It helped me isolate the problem to the core.

Thanks

nW