suddenly no sound

joenteman

hello

I've build an sid box v2, with mios 1.9 and the latest version of the sidbox software.

After fixing some bugs, the sidbox was working very good. So i was happy, close the case and play.

But after a few hours suddenly the sidbox is stopped making sound. I only uploaded patches, and pushed some buttons simultaniously in the mod area, maybe there is some kind of mute function??(which i don't assume)(i could not realy make out what these buttons are for)

The rest seems to work ok.

The first thing i tried was to program the software again, no result. Tried 4 different pic's, no result.

Then searched the forum for a few days, read almost every article. I checked the pcb's, and yes i found one short on j10, fixed it, but no result. So I checked the pcb's again with magnifier glasses, looks ok.

I checked also all the  powerlines, the are all good. I also used the interconnection test, also ok.

After i upload a soundbank, i can hear a sound from the sid, so i think the sid is ok.

A few patches gives a tone like 1khz.

I'm really desperate now, looking for the bug takes longer than building the sidbox.

Is there somebody who could help me???

thanks and greets Jos

Well MD isn't used by the SID itself, however that short will mean that the RS pin of the LCD would have driven the CS# on the SID.. Who knows what that did to the SID  :-\ But it seems it'd only be writing corrupt data to the registers and that'd be reset when the SID's powered off...there's no power shorts that I can see there so I'd think that the problem might be with the SID module (seeing as you've already tested the core). This is an 8580 right?

you mean c1 and c2, no shorts,

the sidbox has worked very well, untill i pushed some buttons simultaniously in de ledmatrix area, suddenly the sound was gone.

is 9v dc on pin 27 of the sid an indication of something? cause normaly it must be around 5V dc

I am already searching for another sid chip, because that's the only thing i could think of now

Hey, have you tried uploading the test tone app? There is also a sid interconnection test. Also, if you have "Quick disconnect" cables between your modules, I suggest you unhook everything except the sid and core modules, and then test those. Then connect each module and see where the problem lies. Hope this helps...

Justin