Idea: MIDIBox USB with mass storage device support?

timofonic

I was think about those MIDI synths with floppy drivers (playing midi files, using samples...) and then came to my mind about a storage module for MIDIBOX.

The interface could be USB for using standard massive storage devices on it, probably "only" a matter of expanding the MIDIBOX USB module with that functionality. I'm pretty sure that there must be some examples of mass storage device driver implementation for the same family of PICs used.

This could make MIDIBOX synths a lot more standalone and even a recording function and an editing one for already saved ones on the storage device. Even this could be useful for avoiding the memory and size limitations of PICs, loading additional modules in the PICs on demand (a "microkernel" on an embedded system?  :D).

I was said "a bit"·something like this some time before on this thread: http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=4996.0

there are banksticks!

There have been some threads about sampling chips, but AFAIK all were too slow to trigger, so there's currently no need for such huge amounts of storage!

By chaining 8 BS, there are up to 512k storage which is indeed quite a lot of bytes.

If you want to record waves and do excessive data stuff (view pics/vids?), I think it's much easier using a PC anyway...

;)

Cheers,

Michael

But what about putting a pendrive or some small USB card reader where you have all your MIDI files and other stuff (SysEx stuff...) on your MIDIBOX synth? A computer for that can be overkill and for this is not needed USB 2.0, USB 1.1 at low speeds is enough.

I think timofonic was asking for a solution in that a PIC itself uses a USB connection to read or write from an storage device. In that case the PIC has to operate as an USB host. In my knowledge this is not possible. A PIC can operate only as an USB client.

JR

I thought more about the possibility to use a USB PIC in connection with a SD card. The card could be accessed as mass storage device from the PC, and as non volatile memory via I2C from another PIC.

But in general it's just a nice toy, and there is not so much benefit. Using battery backuped SRAM brings much more new possibilities, because data can be stored faster.

Best Regards, Thorsten.