a little problem with lcd displays

SIDolin

hello,

i finished my two sids this weekend, both work fine but one little thingy is my problem...

i use for both (1x6581, 1x8580) 2x16 display from reichelt, they also work fine but i miss some parameters like SAV at the display.

i read that the display size has to be configured in the main.asm file, and this is my prob. im an absolute noob in programming things, that really confuses me...

is anybody out there who can help me with that or maybe can do this for me?

maybe anyone has already the files for both sid chips with 2x16 displays...

here is a pic from my two babes:

http://www.e-complex.wue.de/parasid.JPG

thanks a lot for that really nice diy project!

nice greetz

Hey welcome to the board! Those look -really- nice!!

Don't worry that you are a newbie... just read the instructions which are here and ucapps.de and you'll be all set.

In short:

Edit the ASM file as required

Run the files to re-compile your application

Upload

:D

Hey welcome to the board! Those look -really- nice!!

Don't worry that you are a newbie... just read the instructions which are here and ucapps.de and you'll be all set.

In short:

Edit the ASM file as required

Run the files to re-compile your application

Upload

:D

Hi, jes here im a newbie but in analog stuff im very addicted. Take a look @ www.psychedelickitchen.org, my username there is kobayashi.

Im moderating the diy and ml303 parts of the forum.

I built a lot of synthesizers, drumboxes and music releated stuff. ;-)

Also i can supply nice cases and other rare parts and chips for the people round here.

Cnc faceplates, parts.......no problem....

My problem is not to write a 4 instead the 5 in the main.asm file, i find nowehre what to write in the cs_menu_io_tables.inc

And i really tried it with searching. :-)

All that programming stuff confuses me....

:-(

Thats why i ask for help....... ;-)

Its sad that nobody wants to help round here......just u. (And the thread has already 30 views).

Thanks a lot!

All the switches and levers can be found in main.asm, or in the setup_*.asm file you are using.

I know that there are so many options in the meantime, that it is hard to get an oversight. But hey, you guys asked for these features, and never helped to write a documentation about them - so it's on you to read my comments in the code! ;-)

Kobayashi: the switch for which you are searching is named CS_MENU_DISPLAYED_ITEMS

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi there again.

thanks thorsten for that hint ;)......i did read the comments in the code from the main.asm file....but there also was written that i have to change something in the

cs_menu_io_tables.inc . can i ignore that and just set the displayad items to four?

and my next problem is a complete other prob...i moved a month ago to another city and have just 56k dialup internet connection. when i have luck, i have a connection rate about 38k......thats horrible..... :-[

that means for me that im not able to download the perl stuff (13MB filesize) to recompile the files for my 6581 and my 8580......so my new favourite synths are useless for me at this time, cause i cant save my patches....one hour internet costs me 3 euros at the moment...and my girlfriend.....she gets angry when im blocking the phone for hours....not nice... :-\

for shure.....im online 24 hours per day, but just with my sidekick (a t-mobile phone with internet flatrate for email; browsing and aim), but i cant download anything with it to my puter....and on my work its strictly forbidden and not possible to download any files. i had to sign for that.....

is nobody out there who can do this 5 minute job for me ( just make the little change in the file, one for my 6581 and one for my 8580), i will honor this...really...if sombody needs any parts, cases or just a repair for any analogue synth, drum or fx.... ::) ::) ::)

nice evening! :-*

greetz

ps: if i have my dsl, i will help to make a nice documentation....documentations.....well....this is an important part of my job.

im working in industrial prototyping, and testing, measuring, analysis and documentations about that ill do all the day long....

Changes in cs_menu_io_tables.inc are only required when you've built a Control Surface, and when the control elements (rotary encoders, buttons, LEDs) are not connected to the original pins which are documented in my connection diagrams.

In general: so long you are building a MIDIbox which doesn't differ with my own hardware, then you normaly don't need to change the sources, and you can use the precompiled .hex files

Perl: I think you don't really need it for MBSID so long you already have MIOS Studio and Java, is this the case?

Your "problem" with internet bandwidth brought me to the idea, that somebody could compile a CD which contains all tools which are required for MIOS based applications. It could be distributed via mailorder. Unfortunately I don't have that much time to do such things in parallel to all the other stuff, but maybe somebody else feels motivated?

Writing docs: this would be really great, especially because I think that you will see the projects more from the user, and not from the developer side. This should result into a much more understandable documentation for normal MIDIbox users who don't have the technical background knowledge.

The Wiki is predestinated for such "user manuals" - regardless how much will be contributed, it makes me and all the users happy :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

thanks again for the fast reply.....

my sid differs a little bit from ur one....cause i had alread two 2x16 signs displays and i already built them in. so i need the change in the main.asm and i think i have to recompile....or not?

is there a way with mios studio to change that?

greetz

No, you need to download the MPLAB toolchain from the microchip homepage as well in order to assemble the source code. The resulting .hex file can be uploaded with MIOS Studio

Best Regards, Thorsten.

thanks....

but this has over 30mb filesize.....ok....so ive had to give up. :-\ :'(

n8

Internet cafe is a nice idea, but not here wehre i live......also not in the near.....

I live in the middle of deep spessart, between frankfurt and wuerzburg.....here is a biiig wood.....but no i-net cafe!

Documentation? Ok......no prob.......what u want to have documented? I also can make fotos from building details.....espacially for electronic noobs.....

Just say what u want, and if its possible for me, ill do it. But note.....an documentation about assembler, programming mios and stuff like that is not easy for me to understand. I u guys want documentations about that, u have to help with hints and answers for the questions i have.....

Also i have acrobat, and can make everything as pdf file.

Greetz

Tom

Please understand that I can't just go and make the firmware up for you, because if I do it for one person, then all will expect the same, and I will end up spending the rest of my life clicking 'build' hehehe... However, if you would like to take some contruction photos and put them on the wiki then I would be more than happy to return the favour with a nice hex file for you :)

It did occur to me that if you are limited in your availability to transfer data, then you might have trouble sending the images to the wiki.... So I thought that maybe if you have a friend or relative nearby, you could ask them to download and burn the necessary tools to a CD and mail them to you...

Oh, and my wiki page has been updated so that others can learn from this...

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=stryd_one_preparation#accessories

Internet Connection - You will need a fairly high-speed connection for downloading instructional images, PDFs, tools, etc. 56kbps will probably not be enough. I recommend 128kbps ADSL at the very minimum.

Ok.....the main problem is that i need it fast, i want to take my sids to my liveacts.

I understand u but must really say, if someone i our forum had problems, i help "active". U know what i mean?

For example......an for me unknown person asked me for reparing his 808, i gave him my adress and did it. So easy is that....

After that we saw us in a club in cologne, he spent me a beer, and thats it!

Writing 5 postings needs the same time as compiling the file and drop it per mail....thats what im not understanding.....u know what i mean?

Why should i ask a friend of mine for downloading that stuff, burn it, bring it to the mail......that really costs more time than short compiling the files an drop them per mail.

And i just need them once.....so for that i have to install a programm that i never use again......

And making photos and a documentation needs a lot more time than compiling.....usw....

Dont matter....

I dont know that like it is here.....in the forums i normally am( www.psychedelickitchen.org & synthesizerforum.de) the people are really helpful and the most have no problem to spent five minutes of their time.

Cause its a community!

Sorry, but that makes me really sad to see that.....

Ill try another way.....

Thanks for so much nice tips! :-)