Corrupt application on PIC

docbrown

Hi guys,

Last night, I tried uploading programs one right after another on my core, just experimenting ;D  After successfully loading 4 application, the one that corrupt my PIC is when I load the LCD benchmark app on top of the router app  :-[

Now the core only displays the MIOS version (with TK's trademark) upon boot up. Can I still replace the corrupt application? It seems to me that the bootstrap and MIOS is still working, or am I wrong on that assumption?

Questions:

1. Should I reload the bootstrap?

2. Should I reload MIOS?

3. How do you erase the PIC completely back to factory specs?

Just FYI: I own a PIC burner (parallel version)

Please advice..thanks

Hello, why do you think your pic is corrupted ? (i think it's not, as long as you can see the MIOS version etc ;) )

Did you try uploading another app ?

If you cant, in any case you should not need to reprogram the pic with the burner.

Do your pic send an upload request at startup ?

Dont hesitate to reupload mios, or apps, even experimental ones, i doubt it's possible to 'fry' the pic, even with very bad code ;)

Did u try to upload another App? Or does it freeze or something?

We can't say much if you didn't try right ;)

Yes, I tried uploading another app and even the MIOS and its not taking it. I don't remember the actual error, coz I'm at work right now.

I will try to upload again tonight and I will post the results.

thanks..

There is the 1st level bootloader that is burnt onto the pic.

Then there is another 2nd level bootloader coming with MIOS; this one is active for about 2 seconds after rebooting. If you have a corrupt application that is blocking the incoming SysEx events, try sending your application immediatly after rebooting (in that 2 second range of the 2nd level bootloader).

Let us know if this helps.

Cheers,

Michael

i doubt it's possible to 'fry' the pic, even with very bad code ;)

Actually, I know that a bad code can not fry a PIC. What I meant is a corrupted code "inside the PIC".. Sorry for not being detailed about my question.

There is the 1st level bootloader that is burnt onto the pic.

Then there is another 2nd level bootloader coming with MIOS; this one is active for about 2 seconds after rebooting. If you have a corrupt application that is blocking the incoming SysEx events, try sending your application immediatly after rebooting (in that 2 second range of the 2nd level bootloader).

Let us know if this helps.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael,

That's it!! ;D it work. ;D You're absolutely right... I just need to time the upload request. I reloaded MIOS again.

Actually, I know that a bad code can not fry a PIC.

That's only partially true. The PIC can always be re-burned if you put bad code on it - unless of course, that bad code causes the PIC to behave in a manner which could cause it to sustain damage from other sources.... Thankfully, that's pretty uncommon :)

You know... sometimes I got the feeling my application code has the power to desolder a cable when I don't look and connect it to some totally strange other position where it makes me a lot of headaches until I notice it  :P ;D ;D

great to hear it worked for you docbrown,

keep it up!

Michael