Midibox Seq Sync (ie not midi but sync to TR909)

dcer10

Hi,

Im working on my sequencer, I jave put a connector on the back for sync (ie not midi but the old sync used on roland gear) which I recall seeing can be added to the sequencer (some time ago) but I can not find the information on where to connect it up to. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks,

John

;; define the pin which should be used as external clock output here

;; DEFAULT_EXT_CLK_LAT can be LATC (Pin 0, 1, 2, 4, 5) or LATD (Pin 4)

;; Note that this should be an exclusive pin. E.g., if an AOUT module is

;; be connected, LATC.5 and LATD.4 are already allocated. If an AIN module

;; is connected, LATC.0, .1 and .2 are already allocated

;; if a second LCD is connected, LATC.4 is already allocated

;; The external pin is disabled with DEFAULT_EXT_CLK_LAT == 0

#define DEFAULT_EXT_CLK_LAT LATC

#define DEFAULT_EXT_CLK_PIN 0

Pick a pin that suits you :) If you're not using touch sensors, and want to keep the AIN's available, I'd use D4...

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Sorry for the long delay, have been finishing the sequencer :}

Im ready to try to add the sync now. The din jack is in the rear panel, Im ready to solder on the lead. Im not sure how it is soldered to the DIN jack, I guess its the outer pins? Dont know which goes where.. Also im still unclear on the last post as where to set it up in the code. Which file is this from? I havent seen the terms LATC, LATD etc used before and im unsure of what they are, or where to locate them on the core. Im also unsue which ones connect to which plug on the DIN.

Im using the Aout and 2 LCD's so but no ain, so what would be a suitable setup for me, which file do I modify, and which cables go from what jumper to where on the DIN plug?

Also I dont suppose you {stryd_one} would know where to get the extra gates from on the Aout board? Ive got the two shown on the schematic ok, but wasnt sure about the other 2 {is it two more on the core or more?} and which order they are in.

Sorry for so many questions, im obviously new to this all :}

Thanks,

John

Thanks very much for the diagram bill, thats just what I was looking for, now I just need to figure out where to solder the other ends and how to configure the application to use those pins. Again excuse the noobness im not used to MIOS and where everything goes yet!

All the best,

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I think that this question may be directed more to TK, but perhaps someone else can answer it too.

Has the sync ever been tested? I managed to get help from seppoman on this and I have now got the jack in the rear panel wired up so the clock is coming from J6 sc on the core and the screen coming from the J6 ground pin. I have hooked up my TR-606 and set it to sync in, started up the sequencer and hit play but nothing happened.

Is it that there is no play and continue connected? Where would I find these if they are implemented?

Thanks in advance,

John

Yes, I tested the sync feature on a friend's drum machine many months ago. I don't remember which one it was (he as many vintage machines), I only know, that it automatically started once the first clock arrived, and it stopped when MBSEQ was stopped, which was cool - it worked very stable (for my own surprise ;-))

Start/Stop/Continue signals are not implemented

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hiya TK,

Perhaps I have set it up wrong or it wont work with roland gear? Maybe I have used the wrong pin on the core, or connected the wires wrong on the plug, or maybe not set up the option in the asm file properly. It wouldnt surprise me as the whole procedure seemed a bit confusing to me, only because Im not used to figuring this sort of thing out.

I had eventually hooked it up so that sc on J6 connects to the clock pin on the plug and j6 vs connects to the screen on the plug. I left the asm file as is for this feature. I have not tested it on my TR-909 yet, maybe it will work on it? I only tested it on my TR-606.

Just to help troubleshoot, what should I be measuring to see if the right signal is getting to the jack? Is it something that could be measured on a multimeter or only on an oscilliscope?

Best Regards,

John

Thanks stryd_one!!

Ill change the pin over and hope for the best. Im sure its going to be all cool :}

I wish I had seen that URL before, ive been trying to work out where things go for too long. Ive not followed the wiki much to tell the truth, between the main site and the forum my brain hurts enough already hehehe.

Finally I can jam with my 909 and the SID and my seq with no PC!! Awesome!!

All the best,

John

Hi All,

If anyone is confused about how to add sync to their seq I have put a guide in the wiki, as I am a newbie myself I encourage people to edit it to become more accurate!

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=sync_4_newbies

Also I have put it in the wiki too but for readers of this post:

Usage:

On my TR-909 you turn it on, I always put it into pattern mode, then pattern write, then hold shift and press tempo mode twice which will activate the sync in, then you need to press stop/cont as the sequencer wont send this message for you, then press play on the seq and it should be working!

It would be great if a couple of pins were made able to send start/stop/continue messages from the core, anyone know how to set this up?? This would avoid confusion and give extended use ie if you pause in the middle of a bar you can then keep going on the drum machine or TB-303.

Thanks,

John

It would be great if a couple of pins were made able to send start/stop/continue messages from the core, anyone know how to set this up?? This would avoid confusion and give extended use ie if you pause in the middle of a bar you can then keep going on the drum machine or TB-303.

I added this to the TODO list

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Even I don`t have any DIN Sync gear, I would like to have it on my V3, but something isn`t clear enough for me...

The SEQ V3 have DIN Sync Clock Output and DIN Sync Start/Stop Output.

On the diagram belove I see continue signal. Is it supported by V3? Also, there is only one pin labeled Start. What about Stop? I suppose it is common pin for both start and stop functions. Could someone confirm?

syncable.gif

It isn't possible to support continue, you can connect it to ground.

Start is the same like Start/Stop or like Run.

The signal is 1 when the sequencer is running, and 0 when it is not running.

This matches with the description I've found about this sync input at various websites...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

MBSEQ/MBSID and TR808 are a good combination for a jam session, btw.

...dream team, I and doubt it.  :P

Hey Thorsten, would your friend be interested to share some pic of his SEQ with us? You may ask him... Looks very clean and I am interested to see some close up of those shiny knobs.  :)