Palm concept questions about a MBSID.....(noob warning)

rectaacies

My basic idea is to make a sid synth where i can use a palm III as a display. I have read lots of posts with this idea but none of them give a clear cut how-to. My understanding is...

palm into cradle

cradle with serial connection into serial to rs232 cable

then plug that into the LTC module.

There probably is an easier way to go about doing this and maybe get the cradle out all together. If there is a way to do this straight from the core that would be awesome too. This is the only part of the build that is blowing my mind right now. But thanks for your help beforehand, I totally need it.

i'm wondering if the java apps would work

The Palm III doesn't run Java. As the serial port isn't connected directly to the touchpad there will need to be some software running on the Palm which converts the input on the touchscreen to the serial MIDI stuffs described on the MIDIbox to COM page.

In my opinion this is a poor way to go about implementing a touchpad. Too much overhead and work needed just to repurpose an existing device.

-Steve

Im actually not too Interested in the touch screen part, I just want to use it as display. PalmOrb can be used to emulate a martix orbital and there are drivers for MIOS to be able to display on such a lcd. My question is on how to connect the Palm to the MB SID for display purposes only, no touch screen at all....thanks

Im actually not too Interested in the touch screen part, I just want to use it as display. PalmOrb can be used to emulate a martix orbital and there are drivers for MIOS to be able to display on such a lcd. My question is on how to connect the Palm to the MB SID for display purposes only, no touch screen at all....thanks

One, Matrix Orbital displays typically have an extra PCB attached to the rear of them which convert a RS232 signal into HD44780. In order to do what you need, you'll need to come up with a device to take the HD44780 signals from the Core, convert it to the serial protocol which Matrix Orbital displays expect, and output it to an RS232 port. Then you could connect the Palm to that.

Personally, I don't think that route is the best idea, especially as you'd probably want five to eight buttons as well.

-Steve

• 1 month later...
In order to do what you need, you'll need to come up with a device to take the HD44780 signals from the Core, convert it to the serial protocol which Matrix Orbital displays expect, and output it to an RS232 port.

Not at all - all you need is an IIC/I2C to RS-232 converter.  The Matrix Orbital driver has already been written for MIOS.  See this thread for more info.