pic programming error

QBAS

hello TK

recently I try put bootloader 1,2 to my new pics. I use PIC BURNER with Pikdev on linux.

Everything is good (and fast) with 10 pics, but 4 has errors.

I notice that programmer can put bootloader 1,2 to pic , and veryfing is done.

After placing in core I recive wrong sysex. Sometimes sysex is good - then I try upload MIOS 1,9 but can`t finish. When MIOS Studio send MIOS the PIC has fixation (I with it  ;)) and reset again.

When I try programming bootloader 1_1b - it also has verify OK. MIOS 1.8 can be loaded too , but updating cannot progres. I have on lcd:

CRC: 7834  Wrong

NO UPDATE!

Is this possible that Microchip send me not working pics, good only for trash?

Thank you

I think that the problem is located on your Linux installation, on my computers it doesn't work stable as well, but I don't have the time to spend several hours to find the root cause. I did some debugging ca. 5 years ago, at the end I had to patch the MIDI driver of my soundcard, so that it can send larger SysEx blocks... don't know about the current state, but my Linux version and the drivers have changed in the meantime, and it just doesn't work properly anymore.

Did you ever try the upload under Windows?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Really fast response!

Yes erlier I used WinXP - then I has only 2 pics.

One is good , but another has a problem with taking all MBLC aplication.

Of course shorter aplication always was working on this second pic, but when I would like

try work with 2 MBLC then must I try upload a few times.

Now I have 12 extra new. Now I work on Linux.

I use ICprog , and Pikdev. Both work good. Also JDM wery slow - but working , and good one PIC BURNER. Why 10 go to end without any problem, and 4 has always problem.

Only when I put old bootloader 1_1 and MIOS 1.8 - everything is good.

But trying to update is equal finish good way. (pic alvays reset, said CRC error , send wrong sysex etc.)

OK if you suggest that it is midi driver problem I`ll leave it empty - and from time to time try upload new system.

thanx

ps

I got 2 times not-working PICs from Microchip as sample

in my case its 4 + 1 buy

The only difference between bootloader 1.1 and 1.2 is the different location within the flash memory, and the different code range which is allowed to be programmed.

Could somebody please send me one of those defective PICs? I would like to analyse this issue.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi QBAS,

I received your PIC today.

I read out the flash and noticed that some 64 blocks are 0xffff, this identifies that the PIC was reset during a flash erase, and this also matches with your description ("then I try upload MIOS 1,9 but can`t finish")

Thereafter I plugged the chip into my MBSID. Upload of MIOS V1.9 and the MBSID application was working ok without failures, everything works like expected.

I don't know exactly why this chip is only working with the old bootloader and MIOS on your board, but I assume that it could be related to a brown out reset - the PIC is reset once the voltage falls below 4.5V - maybe your PSU is too weak, so that the voltage falls during a flash erase (this consumes some more power than on normal operation)

Since you have a programmer, could you please try the following with one of the bad chips: load the bootloader hex file into P18, disable the "Config from HEX file" option, go into the PIC-Configuration menu and set BOR to disabled. Thereafter burn this into the PIC and try it again.

If this helps, you could measure the voltage between Vs/Vd during a code upload. If it is falling (it should be stable 5V), then it's related to your PSU

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 7 months later...