Casio SK-1 MIDI Modification

c0nsumer

Are any of you interested in a PCB for adding MIDI to a Casio SK-1, as described here?

I had originally etched my own board for this, but it was being a bit of a pain (fine traces, double sided, etc) so I'm instead going to lay out a new one and have some boards produced. I'm curious if anyone else would like one of these boards. Cost will be about $15/each. You'll have to source your own parts (I'll post a BOM) and trim the board to fit, but it should work just fine.

I think the total price for the parts on the BOM will be somewhere around US$25. I think.

-Steve

sk1_midi_inprogress.png

Well, there's the first layout. As soon as I validate that the schematic matches the one here and everything makes sense, I'll order the first run of boards. I'm only getting five and two are already called for, so if you want one, let me know soon.

Oh, I guess these will also work in an SK-5.

-Steve

UPDATE: Updated to be the new, and likely final, layout.

That's a really old design from memory, seen it around before.  Any particular reason you decided to go with that rather than a MBHP Midification?

Yes, because this was already done. I just wanted to reuse the existing design. Laying out the board only took a day or so.

There'd be no reason to use a MBHP version if all I wanted was remote triggering of the keys. If I were to do more, I'd probably put it in a new enclosure and such...

A MBHP version would have the advantage, that it could be adapted to other synths as well... and it doesn't require an EPROM burner ;-)

I've actually been thinking of that as sort of a 'next step'. For now I just wanted to use something where I didn't have to do any new software or electrical design.

That said, I think that it would be really neat to have a device which would allow MIDI IN and OUT to happen with the SK1, but because the keyboard matrix connections would be used for it, any in would trigger an out, and there'd be a loop. I'm not sure how to work around that yet.