XY Touchpad?

rune_sm

Hey Everyone..

Sorry for the many topics, but I have lots of questions :-)

I am about to build a MIDIbox64 into my guitar.. 1 core module, 1 AIn module and 1 DIn module, and before I saw the topic below, I wanted to go with 8 pots and 8 buttons:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=2758.0

My guitar-mod started when I saw the band MUSe live, and saw this guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ022eXOK2Q

Check out how the touchpad is built into the guitar. That's what I want!!!!!!

But is it easy to buy a touchpad and add it to a module (and which module)?

Do I need a lot of software tweeks or what?

I'm really really excited if this can work!

- Rune

I've found this thread, where they say that the spectrasymbol xypad can be easily mounted to an AIN module....

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=5023.0

The complain that it doesn't hold the position when you release your finger, but this is exactly what I want!

Have anyone tried adding such a pad? I think I need guidance....

:-)

the biggest problem should be to get an appropriate pad.

there are different kinds of pads out there: softPot based ones like from SpectraSymbol, resistanceBased or capacitanceBased ones from cannibalized old laptops... the best thing for you would be to get some, look out for resistance based sensors or softPots (if they got three or four pins it's perfect; if they got more it could get a bit complicated):

order a free sample from spectraSymbol (need some commercial reason for that) or try eBay, I searched once and found a bunch of trackpads.

Of course you can also try to mechanically design a new one;

I have thought about a strong piece of plexi glued to 4 pressure sensors. by reading the pressure on each corner, you might get a nice reading; but the mechanical effords are not to be taken too easy!

The best pieces to look out for are:

- Volt-generating sensors ranging from 0 V to 5 V

- Resistance based sensors ranging from 0 ? to 10 k?

best regards,

Michael

Edit:

behaviours like holding the position or not can be programmed in an appropriate event handling section; it should be necessary to program some lines anyway, but the better the device fits, the easier this is ;)

as I already said (in another thread?): the most difficult thing is to find the appropriate touchpad. even the samples from spectrasymbol can be different. the one goule has got, has 4 pins, so you could see to get one from there, too.

I can't ask the seller about the pins, you got to do this by yourself.

just google around a bit –

good luck,

Michael

probably yes.

maybe no.

dunno about capacity based touchpads (you know, like the one used for the iPod)... but if you found some of these, nothing is lost, maybe someone here around knows about these... softPots require a lot pressure from the finger, cap-based touchpads are more like touchscreens with almost no pressure required...

you know this is like: what kind of hat fits on my head?

just try it... even if you're coming across some exotic PS2 touchpads, I know there are people around here who have midified PS2 mice.

The worst thing that can happen is that you got 3 touchpads you can't use. So don't spend 500$ on them, if you get 'em cheap, no harm will be done...

cheers,

ac

hey, I've got a ordering of special XY-Pads in the Fleamarket.

The thread should be quite on top.

If I've understood the spectrasymbol-guy right, then the value doesn't go to zero when you don't touch the pad.

unfortunately I'm still waiting for the datasheet and the prices  :-\

matthias