using old junk

fstop

okay so i have an american dj - 2x cd dj deck with removeable control surface - i was wandering if there would be any way to *hah* easily turn this into a midi controller - the idea would be to use it as an interface for something like traktor dj - as i think it would be perfect.

anyone?

essentially two options... neither of them exactly 'simple'

1: hack out everything and figure out a way to get to the button wires and hand wire everything part by part to the midibox core.

2: Hook the thing up to a deck through some sort of Logic Analyser and figure out the control protocol, then write an interface application for Midibox.

The second would be more universally usable by other people, and would be the more worthy project. Yeah.. enjoy that one.  ;)

an american dj - 2x cd dj deck with removeable control surface

I'd stick to MTEs first suggestion.

- Buttons are no problem at all, go into DIN-modules /up to 64 per module

- Potentiometers should have linear 10k resistance, you could check these with a multimeter. If they got these values, you can directly connect up to 32 of them (AFAIR) to one AIN-module AINx4-module

- LEDs go directly to AOUT-modules DOUT-modules

- LCDs: check for type (Graphical/Character; there are some custom drivers available for graphical LCDs); in the worst case this can be exchanged completely

- additional parts have to be checked for compatibility. there are some tricks however to connect non-fitting parts. If you find some strange parts, you could send some details!

The question would be if you're interested in keeping the cd deck working and adding midi-functionality? Dunno what to do there; depends on the voltage-levels and functions inside (be careful if there are high voltages in there! can be lethal!!)

Best regards,

Michael

What was my suggestion ?? ...dont remember  ::)  ;D

1 Hint :

For an Traktorcontroller theres no need for an LCD cause Traktor sends no mididata out.

You configure the box 1 time for the traktor-software, only for pre-programming a lcd is good for debuggin..

@ AC Buttons are no problem at all, go into DIN-modules /up to 64 32 per module  ;)

Regards

MTE

Hi!

I did what MRE mentioned under #1, look here for details http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e0327352/

and search the forum for further details.

The only hard part was to write a C program which makes use of the jog wheel und shuttle ring.

The rest was just straight midibox/ MIOS stuff.

Aaaaaaaand I am planing on doing it again (now that I am learned the hard way). Look here:

http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e0327352/midibox/denon%20mb%202/

I am sticking to denon control units again since I think that they are very well built.

ad MTE:

Ich glaube es wird wirklich Zeit für eine MIDIBOX Traktor um das ganze Wissen um Traktor Controller im zB Wiki zu sammeln. Anscheinend ist doch einiges an Interesse vorhanden.

Grüsse m.