Advice on Desoldering C64 Components

toneburst

What's the best method for desoldering components from the C64 circuitboard? I'm trying to remove the main power switch and 7-pin DIN power socket, but my desoldering pump doesn't seem to be doing the job, particularly on the larger blobs of solder nearest the edge of the board. Any advice gratefully accepted.

Alex

http://www.toneburst.net

I mostly use a *good* hot air gun for desoldering stuff. If it's got enough power you are able to heat up the solder side of the PCB without making the parts on the front to hot. If you're lucky the parts just fall out with some shaking while heating (that's really a good method for switches e.g.) and holding the PCB "upside down" (so the parts *can* fall out) or you need some pliers to get it out (having the PCB in the vertical position while heating from one side and pulling from the other). With that method I already desoldered tons of switches and even LED's (they still function in 95% of all cases - unless you really heated up to much like you will do with some cheap hot air gun). I did NOT desolder IC's up to now but even that should function.

Little advice if you do that: ONLY use really old shitty clothes. The liquid tin normally splashes around a little bit (especially if you use the pliers method) and quickly burns your clothes. So some long arm stuff and even safety glasses are preferable.

Greets!  :)

Just get some good, wide braid, thin braid, and a solder sucker. With the two I've never had a problem desoldering anything cleanly. I'd also be careful about using a heat gun, because that'll likely heat the ICs and the solder to the solder's melting point, and it's possible the ICs wouldn't be able to take it.

-Steve