ableton and traktor design - another approach

Velaskin

Hi there ;-)

Once again I'm thinking, that I've come up with the very perfect layout/design for my needs. By now I'm using Ableton Live for DJ'ing as well (aside from Traktor). So I thought, if I finally gonna take the plunge for building a midibox, it should be close to be perfect for both softwares  ;)

Anyway, since I don't have any pictures yet, I try to explain, what my layout/design is all about:

The goal was and is to come up with something, that isn't limited to a very special software related layout. Still there are always some things, you might need: a basic track/deck/channel related layout might come to mind.

So imagine a 19"/5 UH (225mm) panel.

There you have a master section on the left. A couple of encoders and buttons for the main/master functions (master volume, master BPM, a crossfader, and such things).

There's also the MIOS-Interface as in a 2x20 LCD and couple of buttons underneath.

The rest of the panel is populated by 5 identical parts:

Each of them consists of 5 encoders and 5 buttons. Above them there'll be a 2x8 LCD and 2 more encoders.

These encoders will be used to access the layers for one of these "channel strips". One for channel/deck selection and the other for function selection (EQ, filter, track editing, etc.).

So, what do think so far? ;)

First off I was about to implement some sort of "night design". Basically the buttons should be lit from underneath...

But then, after seeing Monolake's Monodeck II, I thought "wow, that IS cool!" ;)

You would have some sort of night design still, but adding some usefull function to the lighting too.

Remember what I said before about my design: 5 "channel related" Parts with many layers to each of them. Sure, the LCD will tell you, where you are. But with colored LEDs you will even more easily remember, what particular functions you have asigned to each encoder and button ;)

(Like in : RED -> don't hit/turn the button/knob at the wrong time!  ;D )

Let's recap:

All in all there'll be 32 encoders and 38 buttons. Each of them should be accompanied by a RGB-LED.

Since each and every RGB-LED carries 3-4 LEDs inside (depending on type), you'll have not less than 210 LEDs to handle!

And well, a software controlled dimming would be handy too.

While reading about similar solutions and designs concerning LED-matrixes, especially those with RGB-LEDs, I still think, it can be done.

So, here's a question to those, who have already played with either really many LED rings and/or LED matrixes:

What I'm not sure about yet is, in how many rows and collumns I should actually arrange them.

As example I could use the LED ring feature of MIOS. But as far as I see it, the code is somewhat limited to 16 rings, right?

Ok, the code could be changed. But then: how many LED rings can be realized anyway without putting to much stress to the core?

As another example, would it be asked too much to have let's say 40 LED rings (with 12 LEDs each) controlled by one core module?

Or to put it more simple:

What's better?

Having less columns with more LEDs in a row? Or the other way aound? Or doesn't that matter at all?

The reason I'm asking is, that it would be a "real pain in the a***" to rewire that many LEDs in case just a different wiring would have been better ;D ;)

Cheers,

John

nope. No Faders.

It's basically a matter of space on this panel size.

Then, I don't really need dedicated faders. I'm used to have rotaries ;-)

And finally... well, all of those 5 control parts are gonna be used for various things. At some point you might just miss a rotary if you need control over an effect section or whatever.

Keep additionally in mind, that with a fader you might lose some sort of convenience due to parameter jumps. For traktor as example you will have app. 8 (!) layers per control part... If you have to watch out for parameter jumps, you might just not use the fader anyway. Or you keep it on the channel volume. Which, on the other hand might leave you with one control option less available.

Ok, all of this could be solved with motorized faders. But still you would have the space problem ;-)

BTW: The X-fader could actually be a fader instead of a rotary (encoder). For that the space would be there. I'm not finally decided on that ;-)

Cheers,

John

you could use an oldscool 5 channel fader with 3 band equalizer (faders & pots), and add 32 or 16 encoders in your box for additional control. With a bankstick and some buttons for group/bank, you can control a hell of a lot parameters (8000+).

I'm thinking about my multi-purpose design too, but I thought it would be cool to have a old scool mixer sexion, and a new-style parameter tweaking section, with some joysticks, faders, encoders, pots, led rings, led-strips (encoder-volume-bar), etc.

@Mr modnaR:

... fat fingers...  ;D Well, my fingers are fine, thank you  ;D

But I'm not a big fan of "micro-DJ'ing". Sure, I respect the works of folks like Faderfox. But to be honest, and that's not a matter of fat fingers, I like to have more "real size" controls ;-)

@Sinnsyk:

I've had that thought too. But then the whole setup is getting to big. At least for me. That means transport wise and space wise in the very venue.

Venue space is always a big problem. At least if you bring some sort of own equipment, which a computer DJ appearently does.

At least transport wise I would be fine: I have a 4UH "L-rackcase. The case itself contains my "outboard"/audio-interface and a harddisk. The laptop sits on top of it.

The controller gets to be mounted into the front cover.

I'll post some pics of this case soon. Tonight and tomorrow I'm having a gig and so I won't have time to do some photos before sunday ;-)

Cheers,

John

... and a small "redesign" of the panel.

Due to the fact that 5 control parts are getting to wide to fit all easily onto a 19" panel, I decided to go with 4 control parts. Along with that the displays for each part can now have 2x16 characters, which gives you some more space for usefull information on these displays ;-)

cheers,

John

320_vmpc02_jpgd64d6682ee046cd20abf8a077b