Stuck in voltage testing

carsten_the_dane

Another evening without succes.  >:(

I need to know 1 thing:

1. How do i test the sid with the c64 PSU.

i cant find a solution to this, but im figuring it must be possible. I have not been able to find a 15V dc psu, so i would prefer using the c64 PSU.

/Carsten

(PS for TK: I have just started another thread, where i accidently said; "about to test core" - could you please delete it. Sorry for the trouble)

Ok. Sorry for being unspecific - i acted out of frustration  :)

Here is what the walkthrough says:

Don't plug the SID and the two 74HC595 into the sockets before the initial voltage checks. Connect the SID to the CORE like described in one of the following schematics: mbhp_sid_c64_psu.pdf, mbhp_4xsid_c64_psu_optimized.pdf. All of them refer to the C64 PSU, but they are also informative if you are using a different PSU

And here is what it says at the SID module page, at picture 2 of the soldering guide:

Mount all the parts with the exception of the three ICs. Apply power to the module and check the voltage level between pin IC1:Vdd(28) and IC1:Vss(14) - it must be 12V for the 6581 SID, 9V for the 8580 SID.

And at picture 3:

Now connect port J2 of the SID module with port J10 of the core module like described in mbhp_sid_c64_psu.pdf

So i read as im making an initial voltage measure at the sid module, before connecting the sid and core modules.

But if the core and sid modules are not connected, the c64 PSU only delivers 9V to the sid module.

Then the question is: Isnt it possible to test the SID module with the c64 PSU?

Or in other words: How can i connect all 15V of the c64 psu to the sid module, without connecting the sid and the core.

(Since no one asked this question before, im guessing im missing something obvious or im misreading the description)

/Carsten

Which one are you using? If you have built "mbhp_sid_c64_psu.pdf", you´re right that as long as you take the walkthrough word by word, it is not possible to apply power to the SID module without connecting it partially to the core - after all it gets the common ground for both 14V and 5V from the core. So you´ll additionaly have to connect the ground to the SID module to measure the 9/12 V.

Anyway, I would just take the core and the sid, both without ICs, and connect just everything power-related to both and measure both 5V and 9/12 V in one step.

Seppoman

Ok. So that is possible. The reason why i had my doubts was that i had a 0V reading on the sid while having the sid and core connected. (using both optimized and non optimized psu setups).

I guess i must be doing something wrong with my PSU then.

It would be nice to be able to check the SID before building the mbhp_sid_c64_optimized_psu, so that i would be sure that the problem wouldnt be with the SID, but the PSU.

- I guess i´ll have to buy me a 15V psu. If i can find one.

/carsten

[EDIT]: Afternoon; just bought an adaptor with adjustable voltage. Pretty expensive, but i guess i can use it for other stuff too.

I have tested all my sid modules and they all work. nice, succes. That must mean i made the PSU wrong - now i know what to do tonight (who said study)