A Very Silly Thing- Damaged SID Chip Socket

toneburst

I've done a very silly thing:

I've managed to damage one of the holes in the DIL socket that accepts a leg of the SID chip, in my SmashTV SID board. I, very stupidly pushed one of the probes in there a little too hard when I was testing the voltage, and now the metal contacts have been bent back so that they won't grip the leg of the chip properly. I haven't tried inserting the SID yet, but I think it's unlikely it's going to work. Now, I can't imagine anyone else has been this stupid, but can anyone, off the top of their heads, think of anything I can do to remedy the situation, short of desoldering and replacing the DIL socket? I've had a bad experience already desoldering something from one of these boards, so if I can possibly avoid having to attempt it again.....

Alex

http://www.toneburst.net

If it's a socket, you (if all voltage is good and you want to insert chip) can plug the socket hole with solder, and insert chip into socket while holding your iron on the solder to keep it molten. If you are pretty good, the chip will contact the solder that will contact the bent socket that will contact the PC board.

desoldering 40 pin sockets doesn't sound fun :(

You could always check voltage on bottom of board (I know... that wont check if voltage is going up to the chip, only to socket).

Ah, thanks for all the great ideas guys!

I think, as th0mas suggests, I'll just try fitting the chip anyway, and see what happens.

HL-SDKs idea sound scary- how heat-sensitive is the SID chip, I wonder? I'm not great with a soldering-iron, sadly, hence my previous post re. frying one of the solder pads on my Core board while trying to desolder the voltage regulator.

Practice makes perfect, I guess. It also tends to make things broken, in my case ;-)

Cheers,

Alex

http://www.toneburst.net

With some sockets this might work:

1. dry out the broken pin's soldering spot with a solder sucker (can get one for $5)

2. pull the pin out of the socket

3. replace with a similar pin from a second socket

4. solder and it's done!

with some sockets, you'll notice you can push the pins out. machined pins don't let you do that, but if you heat up the socket carefully the plastic will let go and will let you put in a new pin (though that's nasty...)

your best bet is to bend back the pin with an exacto knife.