ASID Protocol Documentation?

c0nsumer

Can anyone point me to documentation on the ASID Protocol as is implemented in the SID Player for the MIDIbox SID? I'm wanting to add MIDI out support to SIDPLAY for Mac OS X, but I'm having a really hard time finding either any documentation of the protocol itself or OSS apps which implement it and aren't written in ASM.

Thanks very much...

-Steve

The sid_play.inc file in the sidplayer zip has a link to the protocol which was reverse engineered by some smart Finnish guy, but alas the link to it is broken. Maybe TK has a copy?

Hopefully. That'd be excellent. I'd happily archive it elsewhere, too...

-Steve

No, I don't have the document anymore. It was not complete anyhow, I had to reverse-engineer the details about the last 6 bytes of the SysEx stream, for which it turned out, that their purpose is to write the waveform control registers two times - one time without, one time with gate flag.

So, with the sid_play.inc at least a parser is available which is 100% working, the question is: what else are you missing? The main protocol is quite simple - it just dumps out the content of all SID registers on each update cycle (traditionally called raster interrupt) of the 6502 emulation engine (50 Hz)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

So, with the sid_play.inc at least a parser is available which is 100% working, the question is: what else are you missing? The main protocol is quite simple - it just dumps out the content of all SID registers on each update cycle (traditionally called raster interrupt) of the 6502 emulation engine (50 Hz)

I was hoping for a small chart listing the particular portions of the sysex data and what registers contain which data. If it's not available, though, I understand. Thanks. :)

-Steve