keyboard for MbSID

carsten_the_dane

Hi

I have seen examples of MidiBox SIDs in the "MidiBox of the week" forum that had an added keyboard. I like the feature, like this:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=6553.0

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=7709.0

I think it would be pretty nice to have a SID with a keyboard like the little one on the microKORG.

I guess i would have to use a toy piano somehow. And i figure its possible to make, based on the midiboxes i see in this forum. But i havent been able to find a walkthrough/tutorial on this subject.

Is it difficult, how would i go about it?

Since those toy keyboards are probably just on/off keys, i guess i would somehow have to connect it to a AIN module?

/carsten

Apparently it can be done using a DIN as a keyboard scanning matrix. There was  a link posted that explains that in the second of the above posts, but it got lost when the servers went down.

I've been wanting to do exactly what you're describing actually, I just need a little handholding myself!

One of the easiest solutions (I did that on my analog modular system) is to get some cheap midi keyboard (e.g. from Ebay) rip it apart and add some midi merger so you can either play the installed keyboard or via some external MIDI line signal. The Midi merger is also a part of ucapps.de and it works pretty well (very very stable) - I already have one. :D

Lets say I have made the keyboard matrix, as i have linked to above.

Taking the picture below, would it be possible to just wire the matrix to the DIN module?

And then i guess I would have to do some programming in MIOS?

Ok, considering that i basically dont know what im doing, im doing a pretty good job at making this sound simple  ;D

/carsten

418_keyboard-ezusb-scht_pnge0b21ccf17f25

Hey Stryd. Thanks for the .zip

But keep in mind that i havent even finished the SID yet. So could you please explain what it is. How can i use it. Just in short, thanks  :)

I build a matrix, and then i upload one of these files together with fx. the basic application file (sorry, i cant find it now, but you know what i mean. You upload MIOS, then this app to make it all running).

Or, should i implement what you have sent me in the whatever i upload into MIOS.

Thanks

Carsten

I had an old Paia keyboard from the '70s, 37 keys.  I took 1 - DINx4 and 1- DINx1 and hooked a wire from each key to an individual DIN input.  Not as efficient as a matrix, but I did not really have a use for many buttons on my project.  You add assignments in your midibox application for DIN/note-on events and the midi note number you want.  I am not sure how the matrix option handles multiple keys pressed, but using the above system is as polyphonic as I need to get with my MoogModular V.

good luck

gb

Hey don't ask me, I'm just the messenger :) QBas might be able to help, but remember that he is doing us a favour just by sharing this, so don't ask too much :)

;D

I´ll start by atleast trying to figure it out myself. I thought you had made one yourself.

I am not sure how the matrix option handles multiple keys pressed

I think the matrix will do polyphoni just fine, according to: http://www.dribin.org/dave/keyboard/html/

Anyway. that solution sounds very simple. 37 keys would be just what i want.

/Carsten

Hi,

I just used a Din pin for each of the 25 keys of my Sid/piano,

I had a spare DIN 4X module handy and couldnt be bothered with matrix coding.

I can send you my complete Sid project files if you want, allthough they are a bit messy.

I'll try to document both my Sid octopus Etch a sketch LFO(http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=7595.0) on the wiki as soon as I have some time to myself!!! ;)

cheerz

Alkex

First of i have to intergrate rotary encoders in my mbsid, they havent arrived yet, so there will probably be a few weeks till im ready to make the keyboard part.

So if you think you will have the documentation in the wiki within a few weeks, you shouldnt bother to mail me.

Otherwise i would very much like to see your project.

Thanks for the tip. I also think i wont go with 37 keys, after i have seen the Korg MicroX which has only 25 keys like your project, and it seems like plenty.

/carsten

PS: have you hooked a scan matrix to the DIN, and do you have velocity control?