2 Optimized PSU Probs/Questions

sexxy_marvin

Hello,

This is the first time I ever held a multimeter. I have 2 questions:

1) I have successfully gauged 5v coming from one of the pins. But I cannot seem to find the 9v AC anywhere. Any suggestions?

2) I would like to reuse the C64 power switch but I have NO IDEA how to hook it up. Looking at the diagram, it seems that it is connected at all four pins. But I can't figure out which ones.

Thanks!

If that useful link for some reason does not help, I know I'm "wrong" but you can not measure AC voltage with a slow digital multimeter, even an analog one wouldn't be that great (I have both).

An Oscilloscope is usually the best tool for that, but the cheapest new ones I've seen are around $150 (I own it), great for a serious beginner!

I know I'm "wrong" but you can not measure AC voltage with a slow digital multimeter....

Why do even say that, then? ;D

If it has VAC setting, it should be pretty "accurate". Screen update frequency isn't the sampling frequency of the meter, nor slow sampling frequency means that this can't be done in analog domain. (RMS to DC converter)

Moebius

I meant AC by seeing the position of the wave. It doesn't update fast enough. My DMM has ACV up to 700 or so, but it gives some average... mught be RMS. I meant more of a visualization thing

Yup, You're correct there: DMMs really can't visualize AC waveform and the measurement is given out as RMS, not the waveform peak levels.

Moebius

/edit Whoops, that added "n't" really does make a difference... Scopes are needed to properly visualise waveforms..