Question about building a MIDIbox SEQ for mostly CV Out ......

Dolphinicus

Hey all - I'm getting ready to order the final modules that I'll need, to use my MIDIbox SEQ MAINLY for CV / Gate outputs for my modular.

Looking through the data that I've been able to find here at the site as well as for available modules from SmashTV's site, I have a couple of questions:

In looking at the Core outputs - I hadn't seen any CV or Gate Outs ......

Looking at the AOut LC (preferring not to use the Maxim DAC one, at $25 each. :o ), seeing support for 2 CV Outputs per module - but no Gate Outputs listed ...... my original thought this morning, were to go for 4 of the boards, to give me 8 CV Outs along with 8 Gates but ......

Could someone help to straighten out my noobieness in this regard?  I don't think I'd be using an AOut LC as a single CV + Gate, would I?  I'd read about the core setup having the ability to spit out 2 Gates and 8 CVs, but checking the output terminal listings, I didn't see any listings FOR that ...... ?

I'm going to be sending in my order to SmashTV tomorrow, for the last things that I'll need for this.  One board that I do not see listed at his site though, is the AOut LC.  I'm ok at laying out the PCB by myself for each of them that I may need - but if I could order premade PCBs, I'd much rather do that. :)

Finally - I know what I need to complete the rest of the standard MIDIbox SEQ system (as far as DIn and DOut modules goes); rotary encoderes / etc.  My only remaining question is what I need / where to get from, the modules for spitting out 8 pairs of CV / Gate.  (This is of course presuming - that the sequencer code already existing, can be applied to CV / Gate outputs as well as MIDI channels).

Thanks for any possible help here! :)  I'd rather, stay away from sending MIDI to my Roland MPU-101 4 channel MIDI to CV interface, for my modular synth. :)

Hi,

as trigger outputs you can optionally use the 8 pins of J5 - this option has to be enabled within the setup_*.asm file

Note that the AOUT_LC module is not supported by MBSEQ V2, it requires MBSEQ V3 (-> PIC18F4620, MBHP_IIC_MIDI module)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi,

as trigger outputs you can optionally use the 8 pins of J5 - this option has to be enabled within the setup_*.asm file

Note that the AOUT_LC module is not supported by MBSEQ V2, it requires MBSEQ V3 (-> PIC18F4620, MBHP_IIC_MIDI module)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey sir. :)

No trouble in enabling J5 to be enabled.  I've been browsing the code, learning / becoming used to things. :)

THANK YOU for explaining the lack in MBSEQ V2!  I'll continue finishing the unit then, as V2.x exists and use my MPU-101 for the moment and get used to the entire system.  I'll either build a new system later for the V3 functionalities, or update this one, with the new processor and grab an MBHP_IIC_MIDI module. :)

Thanks for your help!  :)