Aussie Solder Group Buy - Not 60/40, The Good Stuff!

stryd_one

Hi fellow down-underians ;)

If any of you have ever attempted to buy some nice solder in Australia, you'll have also noticed that you can't get such a thing. Bog-standard rosin core 60/40 a-la Dick Smith is about as good as it gets.... I asked a few places about ordering in the good stuff and was quoted $60 per 1LB roll :o No that's not a typo  ::)

I'm going to order in some nice Kester 63/37 eutectic solder with 3.3% Kester 245 no-clean flux core in 1Lb rolls of wire 0.031" (about 0.8mm) in diameter. Here's the auction I'm getting mine from, shipping to Melbornio is quoted as $16.75, or (2) for $20.10 (US bucks). As you can see, the shipping is killer (hey, it's mostly lead!) but gets far more reasonable the more of them that you order. I'll be ordering 2 for myself, so if any of you want to save $20 on shipping let me know!

I still need to chat with customs and ensure that they won't get cranky cause it's not ROHS compliant, but assuming that works out OK, if anyone is interested just let me know.

Oh and for the unsure, the Dick Smith solder is fine. I'm just a perfectionist, building gear to military specification, and that's why I want it, and others might want it because eutectic solder is easier to work with.....or just for bling ;)

Oh - and if anyone knows a local supplier, please let me know!!

Hey stryd!

I'd love to go in with you on the deal, but unfortunately i'm headed overseas for ~3months.. so it probably won't work out  :-\

Alas, I hope you find a few to chip in and soften the burden of shipping... but even so, I seem to remember paying $8 for a quarter pound roll ??? I guess i'm just a sucker who needs to shop around a bit more...

Cheers mate,

Trent

I'd love to go in with you on the deal, but unfortunately i'm headed overseas for ~3months.. so it probably won't work out  :-\

Alas, I hope you find a few to chip in and soften the burden of shipping...

Ahh thanks anyway man :)

I should be clear though - I'm not really after a way to split the shipping with others, I'm actually thinking that I will pay the bulk of the shipping, and then others only have to pay the extra for their rolls.

For eg... Let's say it's $16 for 1 roll, $20 for two rolls, and $23 for three... The person who buys the third roll gets it for $3 shipping, because I am already paying the $20 for the first two regardless of how many anyone else gets..

There's no material advantage to me, I guess my reasoning is, if I have to pay all this stupid money to ship ($6 for solder...$20 to get it in my hands!?!), I might as well make sure more than one person can benefit from it.