drilling the pcb

Guest mferolla

Guest mferolla

hy everybody.......

Dos somebody knows which isthe size of teh holes in teh pcb, because I need to by th drill bits and I dont know that, and idont want tobuy something that it will not work....

Thanks a lot folks

BYBY

Mariano ferolla ;D

You can find Drill Bit City's complete line at http://store.yahoo.com/drillcity/.  

After working with almost every carbide bit on the market, I use 1/32" (.0312") chipbreaker router bits instead of the standard carbide PCB drill bits.  They are as good or better at drilling the holes than the good carbide bits, but won't break nearly as easily with sideways force or improper use.  They are the perfect size for most component holes, and the larger holes can be made easily by moving the bit around the inside of the hole.

Remember that you simply can't do this with a standard carbide PCB drill bit, it will break the first time.

I have produced over 50 boards in house now (using only router bits) and I have only used 5 of these bits, including 2 I broke by letting my CNC route to the wrong coordinates. (They don't stand up too well when you try to route a shape into the iron vise on the machine!) :)

I get my bits locally but the same bit is at:http://store.yahoo.com/drillcity/chiproutbit.html.  While they seem expensive at $27.00US for 10 (they have 5 packs too), they are really way cheaper than anything else.....I only stock/use one size bit now for all of the holes on the board AND routing it to final shape with no tool changes in the middle of the run.  Compare that to the 10 sizes of bits/routers I used to stock/use and I'm a happy camper! 8)

Also please please wear eye protection, all carbide bits are designed to give the cleanest holes with the tool running @ 21000 to 55000 RPM, and anything carbide at that speed will shatter and fly not just break.  I have some wood with bit fragments embedded in it that used to live behind my CNC!  :o

BTW anything but a carbide bit made for PCB work is a total waste of time.  HSS bits from the local hardware store will give you 50 clean holes if you are lucky, and when it does dull and bind it can take the copper ring with it.

Later all!

SmashTV

Guest Da5id

Thanks for the info on the carbide router bits, I've been rapidly dulling hss bits for the last 5 boards I've made (and breaking them, too).

I'll have to try those out.

Thanks!

Whats also a point (*if* you dont have a CNC to hand :) ) is having a Dremel probably.

It´s costing about 30-60 Euros, but in most cases there are a lot of tools already inside and the max speed is at about 15000-30000 rpm.

Drilling the holes with a normal Accu-Driller is more or less shitty, because you always *will* break (even the carbide) bits from time to time.

Might come handy, too.

Whats also a point (*if* you dont have a CNC to hand  ) is having a Dremel probably.

Without a doubt.  I still use the Dremel all the time with the little Dremel drill press http://www.dremel.com/productdisplay/display.asp?sku=212.  I still drill a majority of my holes this way (does not make sense to program/align the CNC for a prototype, when you can just hand drill it with the Dremel press in about 10 minutes).

A couple of tips for using the Dremel press:

Use some thin cardboard, a sheet of paper, etc. in between the board and the flat part of the press, it has a brushed finish that makes sliding the board around difficult without something in there.

When using the router bits you can actually let the pad guide the bit into position if you lower the speed to around 7 or 8 thousand rpm.  You get less clean holes per bit this way but better accuracy on the holes.  It's something I can't really explain but you will see what I mean when you try it.  Just don't hold the board super tight so it can move to center up the hole.

Turn the depth guage on the press so it takes up the slop in the press.  Again you will see what I mean when you have it in hand.

The speed and ease of the Dremel press puts my drill station to shame, the "pro" drill station is wrapped in plastic in storage now.....:)

BTW my CNC was self built, out of surplus mechanical parts from ebay and other sources and electronic parts from Mouser.  It has been an expensive learning experience, and anyone thinking about doing the same should consider buying a milling machine and converting it to CNC instead of building it from scratch.

Happy Drilling!  :)

SmashTV