Can you run 12V AC into the core?

dcer10

The PDF says 7-12V ac or dc, the guy at my local electronics store says 12v ac would be fine, is it? Im looking at setting up a transformer and board for my sequencer to power the Aout and the core, I am going to make up the Aout PSU as shown, but the guy at the shop said I can run the 12V out from the trasformer directly into the core.

Has this worked for someone before?

Thanks,

John

you can get high current voltage regulators. i have a 2A one. i think 'normal' 7805s can handle 1A.

i'm not sure what doc says is exactly true, but i may be wrong. i think it's more the face that most (i think) voltage regulators have internal safety devices which turn the VR off if it gets too hot. if you find that happening, get a 2A one, and that should be fine. definately put heatsinks on them with a little cpu thermal transfer paste though.

hope this helps.

for the 7805 with 2A capability, just check the datasheet on your local electronics suppliers website. for PSU designs, it depends what you want. you need to tell us what voltages you require. if it's just 5V for the core, just get a 5V transformer, and plug the output of that into the Core. just make sure it have a high enough current rating. i would reccommend 2A+ to be on the safe side.

hope this helps.

What I am trying to do is to power the Aout module and core from one board. I have bought a transformer to mount in the box with 12v 1 amp. I need 1x 12v + 200ma 1x 12v - 200ma  1x 9v up to 600ma. I was looking at connecting the 12v from the transformer into the core direct and making the PSU for the Aout board shown on the Aout page, but Id prefer to have a board which will do all 3 rails and without strain on anything if possible.

If you can suggest a layout I can make on vectorboard that would be awesome! I have all the parts for the Aout PSU now, so if they can be used that would be great. I also have the transformer and IEC panel connector.

Thanks!!

John

if you do a search for NorthernLightX and PSU, you should come up with his thread for a psu with all voltages needed for all midiboxen, so, just remove the parts you don't need. sorry to fob you off with a 'Search and RTFM' type answer, but i gotta go to work (to pay off my midibox habit  ;))