New 4 x SID on the way!

dcer10

Hi All,

My old SID (Xevious) died and I couldnt fix it, so rather than wasting efforts on that tight enclosure which may have been some of the problem I have decided to make a 2RU version with 4XSID chips (all 8580s). It will be just DIY looking as the old one :)

Ive put some initial pictures up on my gallery

http://www.dcerecords.dnsalias.com

Its under the MBHP_sid_v2 area.

I hope it all goes well this time!!

All the best,

John

Hi all,

Can you use an LTC module in a 4x SID? I have added one to my setup (inc drilling midi in/out holes on front panel). I have the LTC working fine, but the 2nd sid (and probably the others once they are fitted) isnt making any sound. The LTC and midibox link seem to share J11. Is there any other special information to get sound out of sid 2 once its working? I have tried playing notes on midi channel 1 (SID 1 working ok) and 2 (nothing).

If the LTC can not be used can I get in/out lights from the Dout instead?

Thanks!!

John

Hi John,

there shouldn't be a problem with the LTC, you only have to take care that the MAX232 is *not* stuffed.

But so far I remember, you had an issue with this module on your MBSEQ as well, so I don't know how to help you here, but to answer your other question:

can I get in/out lights from the Dout instead?

yep, it's documented in the main.asm (and setup_*.asm) file

Keyword: LED

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks TK,

The LTC is working ok physically (unlike the LTC in the seq which I still need to fix), if it can be used on J11 at the same time as the core to core link then my problem is that SID #2 is not making any sound. I dont have the DINs connected so I cant look in the menus for settings or press the sid #1, sid #2 or link buttons so maybe this is why?? I have connected up everything as shown in the 4xsid power diagram on the site.

Any tips??

Also here are a few pics from the SID as it is now, ill post some more as I go.

All the best,

John

633_DSC02137_jpgb29a8eb3088cb599676974a7

635_DSC02138_jpg94817d6dc4a4b9fd81751b6a

637_DSC02140_jpg1aa82bf0c8a0ab55e84d2b07

639_DSC02144_jpg24cbcb24949e03a804ffa256

Wow! Great case!

Can I put this into the gallery? :)

The second slave won't play so long the Link is disabled. You either have to add a DIN module in order to get access to the Link function, or you have to enable the Link by default in the *.asm file you are using

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hiya TK,

Thanks for the comment, many hours of work went into it!! Most of it lines up pretty well. Saved me a few hundred dollars in font panel! I think it looks tacky, but in a good way.

The interface isnt complete yet. You can put up a photo if you like, or I can send you some when its done, totally up to you.

I will test out the link mode when the dins are connected up in the next few days.

Thanks,

John

Thanks stryd_one,

For the record it was all done with a cordless power drill, a very small file and a hacksaw. I do have a drill press, but I chose not to use it after my last efforts with it :)

I have a special drill bit which helps where there is a drill mechanism on the end, and a grinding mechanism further down the shaft.

What I think helps a lot is to print out a 1:1 scaled version of your panel horizontally flipped, tape the whole font panel up in clear masking tape and drill, file and hack away until you are going to cry from the tedium, then  pull all of the tape off and theres your panel! In hindsight I would have also got a de burring tool before fitting all the LEDs but too late now. Im using a casio label printer to put on labels for the buttons and knobs, looks cheap but matches the rest ;) hehehe. Ideally I would have done this first and then sprayed a laquer over it before putting knobs etc onto it, but next time!!

I think that making it this way is great, as I now have about $300 in my pocket that otherwise would have vanished  :o

Cheers,

John

Well apart from (to my friends continual amusement!!  ;D hehehehe ) getting smacked in the face with long planks of wood, metal sheets and bits of plastic I found it to be less accurate, even when clamped and you use the punch tool to mark centre etc. Also on my drill press changing speed isnt easy, so I ofen drill at the wrong speed thinking it will be ok and crack plastic sheets!!

With the hand drill I found it easier to get closer to the centre of the markings I made before hand.

Cheers,

John

Very nice work on that panel!  I drew a cardboard mock-up of my panel, but I ended up screwing the thing up so it looked like ass.  Yours, on the other hand, looks very good for a hand-made panel.  My only real concession to aesthetics was to paint my panel before grabbing the sharpie.  I didn't even bother measuring the spacing for the holes evenly  ;D

Hi All,

So far its all going well, except that I cant get any sound out of SID2. I now have the DIN and have set sid 2 to a sound and put it on midi channel 2 and plugged the audio cable in but nothing is happening. I can hear the normal pop through the speakers when its turned on and off.

Plugging an LCD into the core reveals that it seems ok and functioning. I have not mounted the octocoupler on sid2s core. I did set it to a unique ID with the change ID application from another core module.

The SID interconnection test shows pin 01 on the screen.

Any ideas on what can be causing this?

Thanks in advance!!

John

Hi All,

To add some more info to my last post in hope of hunting the problem down that SID2 is not making any sound:

Sid 2 measures all the right voltages on IC1 IC2 and IC3 as shown on the main site.

Sid 2 makes sound when connected to the master core instead of core2 where it is usually connected (sid 2 of 2 at the moment, waiting to get boards 3 and 4 for the sid and cores)

The screen when plugged into Core 2 (slave) says CS not enabled (as I guess it should)

Core 2 has a pic with ID 01 and the normal 8580 setup file in it (master core has a custom setup file)

The following connection exists between core 1 (master) and core 2 (slave) J11 Vs -> J11 Vs and J11 M0 (core master) to J11 M1 (slave).

J11 on the master core also uses the same pins to go to the LTC and they are physically soldered onto the same posts.

The 2200uf 16V cap is on + - of core 2 (slave)

I have made 2 sid->core interconnection cables and both work when conntected between core 1 and sid 1 so the cable connections are fine.

Sid 2 is getting its 14V in and 5V from the core fine.

I do have the audio jack for SID2 plugged into the speakers and have pressed the SID 2 button and set its cfg to midi ch2 and sent midi notes from logic to ch2. When doing all the same to ch1 (master) everything works ok (with cable in out 1).

I have no optocoupler on core 2 (slave) nor regulators on either core (but bridged them as shown - thanks Wilba for the tip!)

Could the problem be core 2? If so what on core 2? SW? HW?

Thanks in advance!!

John

Hi all,

Now ive done it, I think I shorted the main in for power and heard a little zap (it contacted with the inside shelf in the case when fitting) and blew a fuse in the C64 PSU. I replaced the PSU (didnt have a fuse) and now im getting -0.53v where I used to get 5v on the 5v rail of the 4xsid psu. The 14 v is doing just under 9v. Any ideas which part might be ruined?

Thanks,

J

Hiya John,

sorry to hear about your accident. The new case looks good though. I'm impressed you did all the drilling yourself- must have taked forever! I'm planning to drill my own single SID front panel, but it's only a Step A, so there's not much to do. Plus it's a plastic case, so should be much easier. Sadly, I don't have much time to spend on MIDIBox stuff at the moment, as I have a few other little projects on my plate at the moment. I'd really like to get the 'SID Uno' done before the end of the year though. Anyway, I hope you get your new synth working again.

Cheers,

Alex

http://www.toneburst.net

Hi All,

I have a theory (which is probably wrong!) that the load in my sid had exceeded 250ma, there was a 250ma fuse in the C64 PSU (Ive read the psu does 1amp??) which blew either when shorted on the power input, or perhaps as I was testing the Douts? I kept adding new LEDs to the dout, then testing, this is when the whole thing went pear shaped.. Im going to hunt down a bigger fuse, maybe 500ma?? and see what happens. <optimism>Maybe its not even damaged? </optimism>

Will post my results.

Cheers,

John