MB64E project with schematics to control an external synth

uriel

Hi anybody,

My first step was (some month ago) to make the point on my needs, i play performance "live" with synths wish is rack unit without any screen or buttons on face (called G2 engine...i got Keyboard version as well to playing by and), the thing is to change patch manualy from the midibox and control by CC lots of parameters...if you know Modular G2 !!!!

For those who made a MB64E or people who knows modules how to connect it, tell me if i'm right with this way...

thanks anyway !!!

Best regards

uriel (fr)

There is my drawing > a rack unit tablet:

MB64e_uriel.jpg

728_midibox_g2control_jpgded133da8024a3f

730_schem_midibox_g2_jpg0124dfd95ed8ab4c

Thanks mate,

so i can use only 3 DINX4, 1 DOUTX4 and 1 LTC modules for:

- 16 rotary endless knobs with ledrings

- 16 rotary endless knobs

- 16 buttons with LED

- 16 buttons for access to fonctions

Is that right ?

i'll make an other schematics straight away !

Thanks for your answer, it's make me so happy !!!  :o

My project is very simple, it's look like MBGLCD > and now called MBUC, i try to find the best way to use the Midibox system (first reason to post this kind of topic)as i will exactly get a full controller for my G2s...

Of course i spended many and many nights over the website to obtain the necessary documents ! Electronic is not my favorite sport (as a lot of people on this forum) but i use my time to learn more about this staff...understanding components, and how to "drive" it !!!

It's my first year with building, ....sorry, i'll not talking too much about my past, this is not important !!! anyway, i need to check if my schematic is right and what i have to change before i start to soldering everything...

Someone told me about the MBUC for this kind of apps:

http://www.rattus.net/~packrat/audio/pages/g2-cont/

Tell me what you think?

* i work on the project from a year and have reading nearly everything that TK was offering to us via uCApps...maybe i missed something !!!

Hi Uriel,

I did a little bit of research on the G2, I'm not sure you need to get so complicated with your Midi Box and make the MBUC. As I understand it, the MBUC is designed as a SYSEX editor. Sysex is the way many synths without front panels are edited, for example the Matrix 1000 someone is also working on in this forum (JackKaos i think).

I played with a Nord Micromodular a few times and I remember being able to assign a simple MIDI Continuous Controller to almost any parameter. You can use just the simple MB64e application to send such messages. This would give you a front panel for the Nord that can be used to control any parameter you setup a Nord patch to respond to. I think you could also setup buttons to change patches with program changes.

But I also read the page you linked: http://www.rattus.net/~packrat/audio/pages/g2-cont/

This looks like an application which communicates with the Nord through sysex because it gives you feedback ie the screen on the hardware tells you information from the Nord. This sounds cool but using the MBUC you would have to customise the application I think to achieve the same thing.

So the question is: do you want to just have a hardware interface that controls your nord sound parameters for live tweaking of sounds OR do you want a more sophisticated front panel that tells you which patch you have in which slot on the nord?

The main reason I am asking is because the screens are different between the MB64e and the MBUC....

dave m

Hi monokinetik, this is a good question: i feel 2 front panel areas (but it's maybe wrong way!?)

1/ first part is dedicaced to slots and patches (buttons to upload patches, data weel to navigate between, and a 2x16 display for seeing which ones are active, and 4 Leds to seeing wich slots are active or net, and a last button with led to toggle performance mode)

2/ a sort of assignated surface control (like the MB64E) to adjust selected parameters for the active patch...> ENV, LFOs...

I made all patches with parameters linked to CC before that, so it should be very easy to assignate controllers !!! (no problem with this part!)

As i said in other post, the thing is to use display for everythings, you see it ?

anyway, i'll working all the day on that...

Gimp > open source graphic software mainly, photoshop for effects (lights...)

;)

Trying to understand the Wiki page about MBUCi'm asking myself about wich apps i need or wich is better if it could !!!

The MBuc give me the facilities to display G2's parameters of patches and variations...

The MB64e give me the power to control any parameters of patches or performances...

If i didn't miss anything, this is right ! is there a way to program the apps, to get all my needs ?

best regards

uriel (fr)