DIN/button problem

ChrisHipgrave

Hi,

For some reason, the menu button, button 5, and the rotary encoder does not work on my MIDIbox SID. All the connections are correct and i've swapped around the 74HC165's a couple of times but no luck.

Is there anything else it could be?

Another thing, i've connected J1 of the the DIN to J9 of the core with ribbon cable and a double row IDC connector so J8 is going to the second row of J1 on the DIN. Could this be why?

Thank you

Chris

If buttons 1-4 are working, then DIN->Core connection is OK, the fact that the non-working ones are all on one side (and the other side works) might mean you're connecting those components through the the ground (Vs) pin on J4, but that pin isn't connected to ground at all. Or, the break is higher up the wire, i.e. in the wire, or nearer the components. Test all the pins that should be ground, best way is probably to test for +5 volts and move the black probe to different points that should be at ground (so you see a change on the multimeter instead of always being zero!)

the fact that the non-working ones are all on one side (and the other side works) might mean you're connecting those components through the the ground (Vs) pin on J4, but that pin isn't connected to ground at all.

Yes i've connected J4 VS to the rotary encoder and to the menu button and button 5. Is this not correct? It shows this on the 2x20enc.pdf.

Should i connect them to the VS on J3?

Chris

No, No,

VS on J4 is ground (Vs is always ground ....... and ground is ground)  :P.

I think what wilba wants to say is, that you have to check the non function buttons to have a solid ground (VS) connection.

Please check this.

I also have to raed this twice. But this is the only way it makes sense ....

greets

Doc

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Last night i tried to upload the DIN interconnection test and something weird happened. It showed me an error and the LCD came up with bars along the top row.

I tried to upload the test again and nothing, so i tried to upload the main.hex from the MIDIbox SID file. This did not work either and MIOS studio showed a message saying something like "MIOS is already loaded".

Anyway, i left it for a night and tried again a minute ago. This time it was fine and i re-loaded the main.hex file.

The problem is that my buttons are still not working, Could it mean that there is a short somewhere and that is why i had the strange behaviour from it?

Thank you

Chris