Graphical LCDS

Guest walrus

Hi all, Im only new and have been doing about of reading.

Just one question how do graphical lcds work with the midibox 64 not the LC.

Also is it worth getting a graphical lcd over a normal character one.

I could lie far away (please correct me if I´m wrong) but up to now there´s no GLCD support in MB64 application. You would have to programm an appropiate solution and that´s not to easy at the beginning.

GLCD´s have their BIG advantage when it comes to (naturally) graphical stuff like curves (think of oscilloscopes), FFT´s or (stupid, but it is like that) gaming. As long as you *only* wanna write down some stuff (e.g. pot values) with characters and have access to *limited* graphics (like stilized bar graphs in form of characters) CLCD´s are really enough, especially the big ones.

Hence, if you want to show graphics (a real moving pot e.g. or the curve over time or *real* bargraphs with high solution) there´s no way around GLCD´s. Programming them is a LOT different (they do not have ANY character saved in the ROM like CLCD´s) but you a very flexible that way. You can also use different sized characters and so start at REALLY BIG CHARACTERS going to very small ones (let´s say 1x2 LCD starting and ending at *about* 12 rows with 25 charactes if you use really small characters on a 128x64 display). Not to forget all those little nice graphical effects (which are partly hard to programm on the other hand).

Bringing it to one point:

CLCD´s = VERY EASY programming, limited graphical stuff, fixed character size and also character number

GLCD´s = partly very hard and RAM intensive programming (especially when you want to move objects), total flexibility in graphics and character sizes

Hope that helps! :)

• 11 months later...

Hello,

dunno if this was covered yet, but I didn't find results for this GLCD controller:

ST7565P

is there a chance it is compatible to the KS0108? The ST7565P is used by the Displaytech 64240C

I attached the datasheet.

(I am still looking for a 240x64 GLCD for a Midibox LC. Unfortunately the Diaplaytech 64240A is nowhere to be found, seems since years after i have read all the forum postings about that.)

0900766b807ed6c1.pdf

0900766b807ed6c1.pdf

hi

(they do not have ANY character saved in the ROM like CLCD´s)

most of GLCDs have also chars in their ROM, if you plug a GLCD in a MB64 it ll work as a normal CLCD and you can eventually offset and center the chars: a 240X64 will have 4 rows and 48 chars.

Still there is really no use for it in a MB64 as long as you don t adapt the code and, if you do it, please let me know when you are finished ;)

Simone

• 2 weeks later...