General Questions (actually specific ones about OPL and SID parts)

napierzaza

Okay, I'm interested in the two synthesizers, the OPL and the SID.

Aside from getting enough money for the kits themselves (eep), I'm having a deal of a time looking for the main chips! Is there anywhere where I can buy them for a reasonable price? It seems like there just isn't anyone who wants to sell a c64 near me, not to mention no ISA cards.

Also, I DO have a soundblaster card with some chips on it. Can anyone tell me if the YAC516-E works the same way as the other DAC? There's a OPL chip with a lot of pins on it which I assume doesn't work as the main chip, but I was wondering about the DAC...

I had a look for a datasheet for a YAC516, but i can't seem to find one online.  The Yamaha DACs are specific to the synth chip, so anything other than a YAC512 would need a circuit redesign at least.

Have you tried your local second hand computer stores?

Okay cool,

Actually partial success. I actually found a computer in the garbage with an ISA sound card, not the right kind, I think it was a crystall chip or something. Another boon is that I asked a co-worker and he said he has some and will bring them in (nice).

Thanks for the help BTW, I'm still fairly unsure about how to go about this project!

Hi,

you have seen the Wiki page (fluke already said it) listing all the soundcards with the OPL-chip on it, have you?

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=soundcards_with_ymf262_and_or_yac512_chips

You could set up an ebay alert search. This way I got two ISA cards for 4,50 EUR each. Just be patient and let the parts find to you ;)

regards,

Michael