Anyone found good 20x2 on mouser?

HL-SDK

I have 2 working LCD displays BUT...... They are in 2 rows and hard as HELL for me to wire... I have been trying and retrying and I'd really like to go the easy way so:

Has anyone found a 20x2 character LCD with one row of pads on mouser? Or just in general?

wow man, that is super cheap! Have you used it because I cant tell from the picture weather it has 1 or 2 rows of those connection pads things...

You know what I'm talking about... where you connect it to the core. The problem is that my LCD makes it very hard to wire one of those 16 pin headers because the core board and the lcd connect things in a different order. If it were just one row it'd be fine.

Also, what does it mean that it needs an EL inverter? backlight driver?

HL-SDK,

FWIW, if you don't want to build a cable from scratch, you can take the smallest ribbon you can find (if there's enough core space), and cut it in the middle, then just strip and twist together the wires from the newly cut parts to get the pinning you're looking for. I think I use Mac floppy ribbons most of the time. They're 2x10 IIRC. PC floppy and IDE are probably wide enough to get in the way, but you can cut the connectors in half as long as you glue the cut end so it doesn't fall apart. You'll also obviously want to use heat shrink tubing or tape up the twisted ends to keep stuff from shorting together.

Yes, the ones with the inverter can't take the regular 5v/ground connection to light them, so that would likely be a separate purchase (a few more dollars). I *think* there was talk here recently of a DIY inverter circuit, but I'm not positive.

Take Care

George

I am a whore for IDC and headers, which is what I have used EVERYWHERE :-p (something I'm proud of thinking of so I can remove certain parts should it fail ater its all done)

My soldering skills are terrible, I have tried cutting and putting the wires in the connecter individually, but I get shorts so I am ordering some new connectors so I can retry (and use them in other projects)

Anyway, thanks for the information!