i found a cheap pressure-conductive material

nym

hey ladies and gentlemen.

i ran a search on this and didn't seem to find it, so i thought i'd share the wealth. i have discovered something awesome that you should know about. it's called VELOSTAT, and it's an EMF shielding, carbon-impregnated plasticy film. the cool stuff about this junk is A, it's only 1.99 for a yard of it, and B, when you hold it against a active surface, it only becomes conductive once you apply pressure - and grows less resistive as you apply more pressure.

this could be very very useful in a lot of home applications. if you haven't read my other post, i'm using it to repair mpc1000s with bad pad designs, but i imagine it could be used for making totally sealed portentiometers, etc.

if anyone's intersted in this stuff please post, and i'll throw up the link to a good quick place to order it.

glad to make your aquaintance, hope to frequent these boards a lot. VERY happy to have found such a cool community.

I'm currently trying to make my own ribbon controller but haven't found a good material to use. In my searching, I came across Velostat, and if it's the same stuff in which my PLED display was packed, then it might just work well... but haven't found a supplier.

Wow! I need a thought screen helmet, too  :o

“I am using the material (Velostat) in my hat. I wear it to bed. I sleep better than I have in a long time. But it’s hard to tell if it works or not. I think it works.â€

“The Thought Screen Helmet is working perfectly. I have not had contact with the aliens since I first started using it. Though twice now coming back from work' date=' I have noticed lights following to the rear of my car, so now I take the helmet with me in the car in case I am abducted.“

“Congrats...my life has changed for the better...new job, new confidence etc.â€

[/quote']

I wonder what new job he got wearing this helmet all day and night... ;D

wtf 80 dollars? that's rediculous.

when i order more, wilba, i could simply put some into an envelope and mail it that way for considerably less than 80 dollars, ie a couple more stamps than usual. it's paper thin, i don't get why the hell they're charging that much money.

Too bad it isn't 1megohm with no pressure, 1kohm with super pressure...

as for the no pressure, in my design i have it resting against the active area at all times, and it doesn't trigger until you give it a little pressure - and i'm talking about the SLIGHTEST pressure, like brushing it gives you a contact. this could potentially give a problem, if your design isn't tight enough that there is a "bounce" to it and that causes tiny pressure on the velostat. however, if it's secure, then there's nothing to worry about and you have yourself some REALLY sensitive pads.

i'm dealing with copper coil active areas that require a material to make the connection overtop between the 2 coils. the velostat suits that purpose. (mpc1000). the sampler records notes in (who woulda guessed) midi, from 1-127.

pressing down the pad in the slightest way gives a contact of 1-10. an appropriately hard hit gives 127. it's perfect for pad applications, not to mention other cool things haha like preventing alien abduction...