4 Aout_LC's on veroboard

t_xen

I seem to have trouble getting my hands on an AOUT_LC, even when going through the proper channels.  :-\

But I am not afraid of picking up a soldering iron...... ;)

I want to put 4 of them on my 4xSid.

Seeing as how I do not have the means to etch a circuit board, I've been looking at veroboard for when I have to "wing it" without a pcb.

I checked out the AOUT_LC schematic and poured over the connections. I grabbed ExpressPCB and used the grid as solder points, and came up with this design, and I'm about to start putting it together. I wanted to post it here to share.

There are no labels for components on it, and some of the resistor leads will share holes, so it may look a bit confusing.

THE RESISTOR ARRAY IS CONFIGURED FOR THE MBHP_SID ONLY

aout_small.jpg

Build pics to come.

:)

It might be worth mentioning that you can get 20K resistors in 1%, (you are using close tolerance I hope), which means a bit less soldering - use them instead of the 2x10K in series in the R-2R ladders.

I have a veroboard layout too, but I need to refine it a bit, If I can afford a copy of Lochmaster I'll give a layout drawing a go.

What did you draw yours with?

Nice work!

Mike

My layout was done with ExpressPCB. ;)

I'm almost done the first module, I have to finish running the traces from J1 to the IC's.

I didn't think about using the 20k resistors. I just went by the schematic.

I don't mind the extra soldering work.

All resistors I'm using are 1% metal film.

Pictures to come soon!

;D

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished this thing.

here are the pics.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Am I happy with it?

HELL YES!  ;D

Was this easy?

HELL NO!  >:(

Does it work?

Untested. I need to build a new PSU that gives +/- 12v (already in planning stage).

Feel free to use this stuff if others have (an "issue" or if one has an "issue" with not even getting emailed back) trouble getting their hands on an AOUT_LC.

Whatever.  >:(

I just don't want to "have" to build another but I guess I got to anyways so...... (rant, rant, rant)

The resistor net is a bit tricky. The diagram at the beginning may be inaccurate so you are on your own. I'll check and update it later.

When I get the new PSU built, I'll post if it works or not.

I have redesigned the layout and am about to order some of these through PCB Express. The new design is not intended for building on veroboard. Before I call the board layout done, there is a thought that is somewhat pressing....

I have the shift registers and the resistor network using the ground pin on J1 and J2. the CV outs are connected to ground on J6. Will this help reduce ripples and other weirdness? Or just not a good idea for me to do this?  ???

Thanks in advance...  :)